In fourth grade, students have to do a report on one of the twenty-one missions in California. Michael was given Mission San Carmel and he was excited that it wasn't too far from home! He came home one day asking how far away Carmel was and was pleased to know that it is just over an hour away. I found myself home this morning with all four kids and a day full of no events. Kids were out of school for President's Day so I thought, Why not throw them in the car and drive down to Carmel? I knew Michael would be beyond thrilled. The other kids? I wasn't sure if they would be so happy.
Turns out, everyone was excited to go exploring! We put on a good movie in the car and off we went. It took just over an hour to get to the Mission. Having graduated from Santa Clara University where we are spoiled with our very own Mission, I have to say that Mission San Carmel di Borromeo is breathtaking. I paid the small entry fee for the five of us and we respectfully started making our way across its grounds.
Michael and Claire both brought their cameras and enjoyed being able to capture this new experience. I found it fascinating to see what they thought they should take pictures of. I loved seeing what caught their eye or what they wanted to remember! There are beautiful grounds surrounding the Mission. You can really feel the history surrounding you there. It was so interesting to Michael to really survey the rooms, artifacts, and the church. He loved seeing what he had learned in school and then being able to see it in real life!
We entered the Mission church last. I thought I would tire the two little ones out by having them walk the entire property before we headed into the church. Wow, it was gorgeous in there. You know that feeling you get when you walk into certain churches- how you can almost feel God standing next to you? This was one of those churches. So serene, so beautiful, so holy. Fr. Junipero Serra, who was the founder of the California missions, actually died at Mission San Carmel. Relics of his coffin are actually located in the church. Michael found this absolutely fascinating.
After spending some time praying in the front of the church, we explored the side rooms. These rooms all had candles that you could light with prayers. Each candle cost $0.25 so I gave each of the kids a quarter and let them say a prayer. Michael was first. He said a prayer for his Great Grandpa Carl who passed away a year and a half ago. Claire lit a candle for her Uncle Jake's Mom who is currently battling cancer. Matthew felt so mature and independent when he lit his candle. This was definitely a first for him. He too, prayed for his great Grandpa Carl. Emily wanted to light the candle all by herself. No surprise there. She prayed for everyone that she loves. That is exactly what she said. Her prayer encompasses all of the people who we love. So proud of my kids.
We left the church and briefly walked through the graveyard where all of the Indians are buried. The Indians are largely responsible for the construction of the Missions. They also grew and harvested crops and were vitally important to daily life at the Missions. This graveyard honors their amazing work.
We had such a wonderful time today at the Mission. Michael learned so much and we all were able to feel more connected to God in San Carmel's gorgeous Mission. I can't wait to see which Mission Claire will get next year!
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can see by these pictures that my lovies were genuinely touched by the beauty and reverance of this mission. God bless this wonderful family.
Nonna
Post a Comment