Monday, May 06, 2013

Emily Gets Tonsils Removed

Today is the day!  I'm sad that Emily has to endure this but so happy that going forward, she won't have to deal with her tonsils.  She was a champ this morning.  Woke up without any hassle and showed little fear while entering the hospital.  I have told all three kids when they ask what will happen that the doctor is going to fix their mouth while they are sleeping.  This worked on all of them.  I never talked about how they would take them out or anything.  I think this truly lessened their fears about the surgery.

Emily was admitted right away.  We started the process of getting her into a hospital gown, getting her hospital bracelets on, and settling into a bed.

Emily brought her flamingo with her to keep her company.  Her name is Flamingo Joseph.  The nurse was so sweet and even made Flamingo Joseph a hospital I.D. bracelet!  She got to color and relax for a bit which was nice.

Then they brought in the magic medicine.  It tastes disgusting but works miracles.  Just like the other two kids before her, Emily slowly started to slip into a relaxed state and started being silly.  She was so funny.  So funny.

The medicine has an amnesia-like quality which helps them leave their Mom and Dad for surgery relaxed and happy.  And truly, they don't remember a thing when they get up!  The worst part about it is the taste and unfortunately when you are prepping for surgery, they won't let you have any water to wash it down.  Obviously, Emily thought it tasted nasty!

They brought Emily back to surgery on her gurney and she waved goodbye like she was being wheeled off to Disneyland or something.  Damien had a few business calls to make in the hospital while I busied myself with finding a cup of coffee!

She wasn't in surgery too long.  Just long enough to take out her tonsils and adenoids.  The doctor said that both her HUGE!  Poor baby!  I went back to see her and she was having a hard time.  Waking up from surgery is hard.  So confused, so uncomfortable.  We had to stay there and wait for her to transition the longest of the three kids.  She just couldn't drink and the popsicles didn't sounds very good to her.  Slowly but surely though, she came around.  Lots of tears- which of course hurt my heart.

I got to hold her for a long time post surgery.  She was most comfortable with me which made me feel so special.  I wanted to do anything to make her feel better.

Emily fell asleep on the drive home and transitioned inside nicely.  We made her a comfy bed, she got treats from her grandparents, aunts and uncles, and then watched a few movies.  She really did well.  Like I said, she was the hardest to transition after surgery but one of the easiest post surgery.

Now the challenge will be to hold her off all the foods that could scratch her tonsils as her appetite is now back in full swing.  We are also loving her new high sweet voice!  The tonsils really block the air that is necessary to speak so she has had garbled speech for a while.  We think she sounds like a high pitched princess.  Even Emily is trying to get used to her new voice!

We are so happy for you, Emily!  Goodbye tonsils!!!

Enjoy this video of Emily completely loopy and affected by the medicine.  She is so silly!

Can I get more of that medicine??

Clearly, the medicine is working!  So sleepy!
Before surgery.  The redness you see in her throat are
giant tonsils.  You can't see the hangy-downy thing
in her mouth.  Barely had any room back there to
breathe and swallow.  So glad
they're gone!!!!!!!

No comments: