Thursday, August 28, 2008

Claire Starts Kindergarten!

I am just as amazed that Claire is actually a Kindergartner as I am that Michael is a first grader! These two, who are so close in age and have been best friends for almost six years, are entering such a big stage of their lives together. Claire has wanted to start Kindergarten for over a year now. It was torture for her to watch Michael get in his uniform last year and for her to go to preschool where they didn't get homework or do such 'big kid' projects. I kept telling her to enjoy the moment where she had little responsibility- but let's be real here! What perspective on life does Claire have! Sure- she has a great five plus years of experience, but for her to grasp the sweetness that was preschool was lost on her. I, however, cherished those moments. This year, a little bit of that innocence is lost, responsibility begins, and did I mention rules, rules, rules?

We went uniform shopping during the summer and Claire could hardly contain her excitement. She loved every part of the preparation for school and just couldn't wait for the days to pass so the school year could begin! When the day finally arrived, she was ready. I had laid out her uniform the night before and expected to go in wake her up in the morning and get her dressed. You could imagine my surprise as I was making my morning coffee when she came tip toeing into the front room fully decked out in her St. Christopher's best! Look out world- here comes Clairey!

Claire knew about five of the children in her class which really helped ease her into the swing of things. She was clingy for a few seconds and then poof- she was confident. I expected this but it made me a little sad to see her so mature and independent. While I am so proud of the confident and beautiful little girl Claire is- there will always be that little part of me that wants that little chubby baby back who needed me all day long. And who would think that five and a half years would go by so quickly? When we came to pick Claire up she had so much to tell us (which was a welcome change from Michael's Kindergarten days where I could barely get one detail out of him). I have been told that girls are so much more apt to tell you about their day and it's events than boys. I don't know if this is true but so far it is proving correct!

What a crazy few days it has been for our family. Michael started full day school as a BIG first grader and now Claire has launched her academic career at St. Christopher's and is part of the 2017 graduating class. Whew. While I am currently enjoying having some time alone with Matthew, I am also sad because I enjoy my two older children so much and I truly love having them around. I suppose this will just give me some precious perspective on truly enjoying the afternoons and weekends we will have together. Congratulations Michael and Claire on a great first few days of school! And congratulations Matthew- you now have your Mommy all to yourself for a few hours!

3 comments:

JKS said...

She is going to do so well. They all can't help but love her. SHe is ready!

Anonymous said...

Our Clairie exudes confidence! You go girl and show em what you got!

Love,

Nonna

Danielle said...

Claire looks adorable in her uniform! It takes me back to the days (it's almost exactly the same color/pattern uniform I used to wear). Have a great year Claire!!