There is a lot of focus on Michael's birth story. Since he has been born, we have taken the kids back to Paris twice and while we are there- it is really all about Michael. We talk about when he was born, the things we did when we were in Paris, we introduce him to people who were a part of beginning and each time we have been there it has been amazing! Typically, I am pretty sensitive to my children. I can sense things before they do and I try and make life go as smoothly as possible. That is why I was completely caught off guard this time in Paris when Claire said, "When am I going to see my hospital?" Honestly, I never really thought about the attention that Michael gets about his birth- would do to Claire. Although she has been very patient with Michael and even thinks his beginning is amazing- she got jealous (and rightfully, so). I called my Mom from France and told her that when we flew up to Washington in a few short weeks- we were going to have a day in Seattle that was devoted to Claire and her birth story.
As most of you know, I spent 73 days on full bedrest at Swedish hospital in Seattle when I was pregnant with Claire. Day in and day out, the two of us lay in bed and tried to prolong the pregnancy as long as we could! I had never met my Clairey yet but I knew that the baby in my tummy and I would share this fight and it would bond us forever. My Mom, Dad, Natalie, Laura, Damien, Michael, Matthew and I took Claire into downtown Seattle to have a day devoted 100% to Claire. First stop was a local drug store where Claire and I loaded up on fun magazines (People, Us, etc) and nice lotion to give to the women who were on bedrest at the hospital. My Dad was really generous and helped us purchase more than enough supplies to give all the women one. It was the least we could do considering that anything that takes these women's mind away from the monotony of bedrest is a good thing!
Claire was giddy since the moment we pulled up to the hospital. It was weird for all of us, especially my family- who made the daily trip to the hospital from Kirkland to see me. The halls were eerily familiar and it seemed that my family was thrown back to the difficult times in this hospital almost six years ago. I didn't have that same sensation because I stared at the walls of my room- not the halls of the hospital! We made it up to the fifth floor and Claire loved seeing the room where we stayed for so long. We then met one of the head nurses and Claire got to hand her over the goodies we brought for the women there. We told the nurse our story and hoped that she would relay it to some of the women and maybe it would give them hope when things looked grim. Claire loved being at the hospital and loved that we were all there to support her. After all the support and patience she has given Michael and his beginning- she deserved this moment. I was proud of her that she was able to communicate her jealousy in a way that didn't take away from Michael's experience- but instead focused on what she wanted.
Ironically, while I was on bedrest at Swedish- we would get this amazing take out pizza from a place called Michael's Pizza. We thought it would be a perfect place to take Claire for dinner but unfortunately, it has closed since we enjoyed it in 2002. In lieu of Michael's Pizza, we went to another pizza place and toasted to Claire and her amazing journey. It was really nice to have my family with us to share in The Day All About Claire. We were all able to enjoy her and look back at the very difficult but very worth it two and a half months spent lying in bed in Seattle.**Just a little funny story . . .
On the way to the hospital, Michael asked us in the car, 'How do you say hello in Italian?' I answered, 'Ciao'. He said, 'If I say hello in English, will they understand me?' I paused to figure out what he was saying and then I started to smile. Because Michael is so mixed up with own beginnings and really doesn't get why he was born in Paris, he thought that because Claire is Italian- she was born in Italy. At his hospital, they only speak French not English. So he thought Claire's hospital would be the same. They would only speak Italian and not English. We thought this was the sweetest thought. We then explained that Claire is Italian but was born in America- therefore they speak English there. We also explained that he is Italian, too. It was a very sweet and memorable comment and I am sure we will be re-telling this story for ages.
4 comments:
You are such a good mom! How great is it that your whole family got behind Claire's day. I love it. Both Kaitlynn and Morgan are Swedish babies too!!
ha! that story is hilarious!
my mikey man, or shall i say "mickey," is so cute!
I remember going to see you there! How time flies! Thanks for getting me started on a BLOG, my name is spelled wrong on your blog list! :)
Swedish rocks and so does our Clairie!
Love
Nonna
Post a Comment