
It was one of those days when I looked at my kids- who were pretty darn bored, and realized that we all needed to get out of the house for a while. Without thinking too much, I declared it 'Art Day'. "Hey, let's go to Michael's Craft Store and you can all pick out an art project today!", I told them. Claire and Matthew were both really excited but Michael was mad because he would've rather stayed home to play his Nintendo DS (Can't blame him, either. Who wants to do art projects when you can spend a lazy summer day playing video games! Tough!!!) I love projects. I am not sure if it started with the way my Mom occupied the five of us with different projects to get us through the day- but I am usually up to any project (unless it has to do with weeding or laundry).

All of my kids are pretty artistic and creative so I knew that they would all enjoy a distraction from our monotonous day! While at
Michael's, the kids bounced around from aisle to aisle declaring they had found their art project only to see something bigger and better. I let them roam around for about twenty minutes and then told them to make their final choices. In the end, Michael abandoned some pretty cool art supplies for a small egg of silly putty (which he did play with for the whole rest of the day until I found it that night completely thinned out on a blanket which necessitated me throwing it away before it attacked my carpets!) Claire opted for a canvas which was on sale and some paints to go with it. Matthew wanted an
Ice Age coloring book and some new pens. Done and done.

While all the kids played with their new items, it was Claire who sat diligently at the counter painting her masterpiece. I was making dinner at the time so I got to really see how she approached her design. I had to resist telling her
Claire touch up that spot on the sun, etc. When you have small kids, you kind of have to guide them through things. I have to remember to back off sometimes from the older kids and just let them do their thing. Claire must of sat at the counter for two hours perfecting her painting. I loved watching her analyze what she had made and certainly loved the look of pure satisfaction she had on her face when she was done.

You know, sometimes- you have to remember to do something new and different for your kids. Getting out of the house these days with four kids (emphasis on the one month old who is completely unpredictable in the car/world) can be difficult. However, I have been really pleased with myself when I go the extra yard, no matter how crazy it is, to get out and do something special for myself or my family. I am sure that every time I look at Claire's canvas hanging in her room I will be reminded of the crazy times I had during Emily's first month. While Claire created a painting that reflects her imagination and interests at the age of six, she too created a piece of art that will for many years, remind me of the crazy life I was living at the time, too.
1 comment:
You are an inspiration Lisa. Great job on getting out with all the kids. I can definitely relate to the unpredictable little one :-)
Post a Comment