I know that I cannot get through my pregnancies all by myself. In order to be successful- I need a whole slew of people who support me to be able to make it close to full term. While I know that I can count on my family and friends- I could not do this without my doctor. Let me first start off by saying she is brilliant. Not only was she committed to my high-risk pregnancy, her support and encouragement propelled me to get as far as I got. By profession, she is an OBGYN but she is also a talented vaginal surgeon. This is one of the reasons I was so adamant about her placing my cerclage because she is so confident when working with that area. Some doctors are hesitant to place the cerclage deep enough into the tissue- but because she is very well versed with this area, she was able to be aggressive with her cerclage placement which allowed me to get through this pregnancy without official bedrest. Amazing!!!One thing I loved about my doctor was her bright outlook on my pregnancy. On my weekly visits- she always greeted me with an encouraging smile and would cheer for me that I made it to 18 weeks, 19 weeks, 25 weeks, 30 weeks, etc. No week was not worth celebrating as she knew how stressful and difficult it was for me to get through those seven days. She understood how much I needed to feel like I had accomplished something and for her encouragement- I am truly grateful. I was so happy that she was able to deliver both Matthew and Emily. She is so calm, so wonderful during the high-stress moments of birth and worked well with my natural childbirths. She understood that I needed quiet and calm instructions and was a big part of my success with my births.
I am sad that I won't be seeing her on a weekly basis anymore. As happy as I am to say goodbye to pregnancy, I will miss the weekly visits with her and all the staff in the office. For nine months- that office was like family to me. Like they say- when one door closes, another opens. I am taking this all in stride and moving on with my life and celebrating the fact that I am in such a better place now. Sure, I might see almost every hour in the middle of the night with Emily- but it sure beats watching the hours tick by while laying on the couch. And did I mention that I get to look at my beautiful baby girl all day, too? I will forever be thankful to Dr. Kilkenny (Totman). She took me under her wing after I had come back from France with no faith in the medical profession. When I met her, I was a scared 25 year old who had just been through the emotional trama of having a micro-preemie in a foreign country. She told me I could trust her and she never went back on her promise. She was there for me through Claire, Matthew, and Emily's pregnancies and made my dream of having a big family, which I thought was impossible after finding out I had an incompetent cervix, a reality.
I believe that throughout your life, certain people come along and lift you from your problems and worries like angels. She certainly is an angel who came along and changed my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you God for sending her to me when I needed her the most. When I look at Michael, Claire, Matthew, and Emily- I know I am so very blessed. I may not see my doctor on a weekly basis anymore, but I certainly think of her every time I look at the family she helped Damien and me create.
2 comments:
Its stories like this that remind us that there are doctors out there with a sense of altruism and big hearts. Beautiful!
I do believe in angels and Dr Kilkenney has earned her wings. She is one amazing person!
Post a Comment