We have been talking rainbows over here for months. At least three times a day, I get a reminder that I need to make rainbow cupcakes. "I know, Emily. I will make rainbow cupcakes for your birthday party." She nods in approval and then thinks hard about something. "Is my birthday party today?" she asks. I tell her that it isn't today but it will be here soon!
A few months ago, I was perusing Pinterest when Emily came along side of me and joined me in my search for creative endeavors! And then it happened. Emily saw a rainbow cupcake and the theme, or rather her new obsession, for her birthday was created! I believe that this happened back in March so you can only imagine how happy I was for her big rainbow day to finally be here!
This is always a crazy weekend. School has just gotten out, the St. Christopher Festival is going on, people are busy with summer parties, and it is right before Father's Day. Let the festivities begin! We decided to do a party at home because it has so much flexibility. We knew we would have nice weather and imagined a relaxed atmosphere (blanketed with rainbows, of course) where Emily and her family and friends could have fun!
The bounce house was delivered hours before the party so I was able to keep the kids occupied as I set things up in preparation for her guests! Gina was able to spend the night here before the party so having her here was a huge help!
Prep was pretty simple. I was most excited to hang some rainbow poms from the tree in the backyard and was even more thrilled when Gina offered to do it for me! We assembled rainbow fruit skewers, frosted the much anticipated rainbow cupcakes, put out the rainbow pinata, prepped the food, and finally got Emily dressed in her adorable rainbow dress. I fell in love with Emily's dress when I first saw it on Etsy. A woman custom makes these dresses according to your child's measurements and then takes plain colored tshirts and sews them together to make the dress! Genius!!!
When people started arriving, Emily gladly took the gifts they brought for her and walked them over to the fireplace where she lined them all up. We all chatted and enjoyed the sunshine until it was time to enjoy a lunch featuring pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw, my Mom's famous baked beans, fruit skewers, bleu cheese/bacon dip, and bruschetta. It was a lot of food but definitely hit the spot!
When dessert time came, Emily couldn't wait to get her cupcake! She took her spot front and center and basked in the glory of her birthday song. It was awesome. She blew out her three rainbow candles and then finally got the much longed for cupcake.
After cake time was the pinata at which Emily got to take the first swings!!! She smacked it as hard as she could and had the scrunchie face to prove it! What a riot! All the other kids, in age order, swung at the pinata and wouldn't you know that while Claire swung at the pinata the bat broke! Luckily, we have ninety five more bats so we got a replacement. After Michael took the final hit, all the kids gathered up their sugary loot.
Gifts were better than I could have dreamed. Don't get me wrong, Emily didn't need gifts but the gifts she received were so up her alley! Nonna and Grandpa sent Emily a HUGE rainbow balloon bouquet while E and Papa gave Emily some money and the most adorable headband and fun swim toys. Emily also received a personalized E sun hat, microphone, adorable clothes, Jessie pjs, bathing suits, a Princess chair, ice cream play food, books, and so much more! I think the thing she loved the most, however, was that she was surrounded by so many people that love her. I mean it. She loves loving people and certainly loves the love in return.
Happy 3rd Rainbow Birthday to our one and only EMILY! You are so special and sparkled more brightly today than any rainbow we have ever seen.
Saturday, June 09, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment