Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Today, We Took a Bike Ride

Today, Matthew was home from his half day Kindergarten and I caught a sweet glimpse of my two littles in the backyard.  Then I felt that familiar pang of sadness when I realized that Matthew will be joining the forces of a 'full day school kid' next year.  I walked outside in the sunshine and said to them, "Get your helmets on!  We're going for a bike ride on the trail!"  They were so excited and before you knew it, we were off!

The day was perfect and so was the view from behind these two.  They laughed, they dangerously swerved into oncoming bicyclists, they stopped to look at flowers, we played at the park, they enjoyed each other.  I took a back seat for most of the ride and let them have their moment.  Although they bicker a lot, they really do love and need one another.

Of course our bike ride wouldn't have been complete without a treat from Starbucks!  It seems to be a common final stop for our family on walks and bike rides.  While sipping my coffee, I watched them count flowers, enjoy their cold drinks, ask me questions about the world around them, pretend to be unicorns with straws, and enjoy the peace surrounding the day.  I am so glad I took the time to go out with them.  This is increasingly hard to remember as my 'to do' list at home just keeps on growing.

These are the days to remember.  I need to make sure we do a whole lot more of this.

Emily thought this might be the correct way to put her helmet on.
Don't worry, I fixed it for her!


No comments: