I was bracing for another appointment where nothing had changed and I expected to hear, "We'll see you in a week". However, this notion didn't last long and things definitely have changed! I was treated like a normal pregnant woman for the first time in 35 weeks and didn't have an ultrasound. Up to this point, we normally see the heartbeat- we don't hear it. So it was a real treat for the kids to hear the baby's heartbeat through the Doppler. Michael thought it sounded like a train and Claire just kept giggling. After hearing the heartbeat, the doctor measured my uterus and I measured at 38 weeks pregnant, even though I am only 35 1/2. In some ways it was comforting to know that this baby is big, but in another way, it made me feel happy that perhaps I am justified in feeling so uncomfortable and huge!
The doctor then examined me and we had quite a change from last Tuesday's appointment where I was a fingertip dilated. She discovered that I am now 2-3 centimeters dilated! It was kind of a shocker, especially when you consider that we thought the stitch was still holding! She was surprised too, and asked me to come back this Friday to see if anything has changed. I am scheduled to get the cerclage removed next Tuesday, but if I dilate more before Friday, she might move the cerclage removal up. The stitches are designed to be dissolvable and might just be giving way to the pressure and weight of the baby. But what we don't want to happen is to have the stitches damage the cervix by tearing it. So that is why we will be seen again on Friday and proceed from there.
All of this is really exciting, but I can't get over how real the actual birth of this baby is to me now. The clothes are washed, the house is as ready as it's going to be, and the kids are so excited- but I have to deal with the fact that this is really going to happen! Very soon I am going to meet my new son/daughter and life as I know it will never be the same. I remember going through this when I was pregnant with Claire. For so long, I focused on getting bigger and farther into the pregnancy when one day it hit me- 'Oh no! I have to push this big baby out!'. So I guess you could say the idea of birthing this baby has set in and I am trying to get a grip and just enjoy the rest of the ride- no matter how long or short it is!!!
I will post new changes as they happen and hope that I can hold out until Tuesday to get the cerclage removed. I have opened my heart to the fact that the baby may come any day now and am ready to celebrate its great arrival into this world- which will undoubtedly be filled with love and happiness.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
2- 3 CM!!! WOW WOW WOW This is it... you are on your way and what a fantastic journey it has been. I am so excited for you that you experience with pregnancy will be over soon and your new miracle will be here! You truly explemify motherhood to me. And you are an excellent role model! Thank you for all your insight and wisdom! Sending my love and prayers! Eileen
Post a Comment