Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What's Up Doc?

I went to the doctor for a check-up this afternoon to see how the baby was doing. I am happy to report, that everything looks the same and we were told to keep doing what we have been doing. So it looks like I have a few more weeks of couch-time and more waiting to do (which really isn't a bad thing). She took measurements of the baby today and we found out that at 34 1/2 weeks, the baby supposedly weighs 6 pounds. So as I continue to grow my chubby baby, I will also relish in the fact that the most bedrest I have left in this pregnancy is 2 weeks- when my cerclage will be taken out. She noted that the baby was really low and told me that at the cerclage removal, I will have a 50% chance at having the baby that day. It is really sinking in that soon, we are going to have another little Swendsen around here and life will never be the same.

My mom, Laura, Michael, and Claire came with me to my appointment today. We waited 2 hours in the waiting room to be called back and you can only imagine the scene we created out there. For one, my appointment fell right during naptime and we were all tired. But it all paid off when we finally got the ultrasound and saw that things were going according to plan. The neatest part of the appointment was being with Laura when she saw her first ultrasound. Laura was actually at the foot of my hospital bed when I delivered Claire, so it was nice to be able to share this experience with her, too. She thought it was so great and was thrilled to see the baby's ears. She swears that I am carrying a girl with brown hair- so we will see if she is right!

While my Mom and Laura have been visiting, we have taken out a lot of Michael and Claire's baby clothes to wash, sort, and choose which ones make 'the cut' and which ones go to Goodwill. After I had both of the kids, I kept EVERY morsel of clothing they wore. Now I am wiser and when they grow out of things, I only keep the articles which are in good condition or hold some form of emotional value. Plus, from a storage perspective, if you don't weed through and get rid of some things, you use half of your garage storing the clothes!

On an unrelated note, my doctor and nurse told me weeks ago (at week 31 to be exact) that I needed to pack my bag for the hospital. Of course I have resisted doing this and am procrastinating so bad! I am not sure why I can't bring myself to do it! Maybe it is that I feel that once I pack the bag, the baby will come. It could also be that due to bedrest, the last thing I want to do when I can actually get up and move is pack a bag! It is probably a combination of the two, but either way, I need to get myself motivated and just do it already! I am hoping that by writing it here, I will hold myself accountable. I will let you know if it worked or not.

So while we didn't learn anything new at the appointment, at least we are talking about the END of the pregnancy. Finding out you're pregnant is so thrilling. Feeling the baby kick and move for the first time is indescribable. Starting to show and finally being able to wear maternity clothes is such an accomplishment. But being so big that you can't get comfortable, have a hard time sleeping, wearing the same maternity clothes over and over, and growing to a point where you don't know if the poor stretched skin on your tummy can take anymore is less desirable (hence the picture of Claire rubbing my belly with lotion). I have enjoyed so much of this pregnancy, but I am ready to have the baby and enjoy watching someone else go through it. 2 more weeks and I either gain a new baby or the freedom to move again. Sounds good to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
All I can think of when I see these pictures of you so big is how good you look through this pregnancy. Your face hasn't puffed out and your arms look trim. I think you have that pregnancy glow working for you! You look beautiful!