What does one do when their calendar is chock-full of activities and commitments? You leave for Disneyland! Well, at least we did! We received an awesome opportunity to accompany my sister-in-law Lani's family to Disneyland and stay in the Grand Californian with them. Although it sounded fun, we looked at our calendar and didn't think we could make it work. Earlier in the year when the trip was proposed, we said no because it is the weekend before school gets out and in the past has just been nuts!
But here we were again considering the trip and we decided to throw caution to the wind and head down to the House of Mouse to have a fantastic and magical trip! We had to opt out of Claire's end of the season soccer party, have Michael miss the end of the year baseball parade, and clear out a few other events before we were in the clear. Both Michael and Claire were fine with changing their schedules and couldn't wait for the trip. (Just a note: it rained the whole time in San Jose when we were gone and all games/parties were eventually cancelled. So glad we went!)
Normally we drive the short six hour drive to Disneyland but considering the timing of the trip, we knew we would have to fly. We were scheduled to fly out bright and early Saturday morning and then fly back on Monday night. We couldn't keep the kids out of school another day because then they would have to miss some really fun days with their friends. They were very clear about not wanting to miss school more than Monday. Damien and I both wanted to be sensitive to this and made sure they wouldn't have to.
We woke up at 6:30 on Saturday morning and I had the kids put on their Disney outfits and be ready to head to the airport. It was an early start but everyone fared pretty well! The airport was a breeze and the kids were just overflowing with excitement! I loved seeing them all sitting together eating their morning goodies while waiting for the flight. They are the best!
We made it to the Grand Californian with no hiccups at all! Check in was a breeze and we were extra delighted to see that Emily got a few little gifts from the hotel because it was her birthday! She got a signed picture of the princesses and then a Happy Birthday button which earned her about 100 birthday wishes from cast members in the park. She loved it! Before we knew it- we were in the park! It was awesome! Lani and her family were driving and were about three hours behind us so we hopped into California Adventure for some fun!
Because we stayed at the Grand Californian, we had fast passes to the brand new ride Ariel's Undersea Adventure! It was the rides first day in operation so everyone was flocking to it. The line was ridiculous but lucky for us- we had a ticket which brought us right to the front of the ride. The ride was really cute. Emily absolutely loved it but she was afraid of Ursula.
We went on a few more rides while waiting for the rest of our family to show up and when they did- we were so happy to see them! Between our two families and Heather, we had a group of twelve people! That's five adults and seven children. This should be interesting! We had a wonderful day in the park and had lunch at a restaurant that gave us fast passes to the night showing of Disney's World of Color. Okay, here is where I rant about this experience. I have heard a lot about this new show in California Adventure and I really expected a lot from it. Hmmm. It's not that good. If you have seen Fantasmic before, this show has nothing on it. It is way too long and didn't have much to offer that Fantasmic doesn't. I only complain because World of Color is hard to see and you have to either get fast passes to get a good look or wait forever. I just think that it isn't worth the hype. Glad that is off my chest!
The kids did love the first fifteen minutes of it. The only hard part was even though we had fast passes which got us in the first few rows, we still had to hold all the kids on our shoulders so they could see! Kids get heavy really fast and on top of that- all the kids were absolutely exhausted!!! I had Emily on my shoulders and noticed that she was starting to flinch so I took her down and held her high while resting her face on my face. Then I realized that she seemed really heavy and not awake. I asked Damien, 'Is she sleeping?' and he just started cracking up. So tired you fall asleep while vertical? Yep, that sounds like Disneyland alright!
The next day, we spent primarily in Disneyland and hit all of the attractions! Emily and Matthew were beside themselves. I love the feeling I get in Disneyland and clearly- they loved it, too! The loved trying to pull out the sword from the stone, Emily braved it through Pirates of the Caribbean while chanting fate (fake), Claire and Matthew got brave and went on Space Mountain for the first time, Michael thought the piranha on the Jungle Cruise were real, we saw an amazing firework show at night while Michael and Matthew danced beneath it's bright lights (note: Michael asked us over and over while dancing if he was going to fall into the sky???), Baby Mine (which is Claire and my song) played as the fireworks danced in the sky and as the bright lights flashed off Clairey's cheek- I saw a tear run down her face (absolutely precious), and lastly we took in an awesome parade where all the princesses and main Disney characters participated! The kids were in all of their glory and it was awesome to witness it.
One of the highlights for us (and low points for Matthew) was seeing if Matthew was tall enough to go on Indiana Jones. We didn't think he was tall enough but he sure thought he would be. You can't even imagine his disappointment when we sized him up and realized he couldn't go. He bawled, and bawled, and bawled. My heart ached for him. He knew Michael and Claire could go and he didn't realize why he couldn't! Poor baby. While the big kids were on the ride- I took him next door and bought him an Indiana Jones action figure. Usually, that is not my style. But I had to get him something. He was absolutely crushed. Somehow- that little figure made it all better.
For lunch that afternoon, we went to Ariel's Grotto. Problem for us- when it was time for our reservation, both Emily and Matthew were sound asleep. ASLEEP! I mean the kind of sleep when you try and wake them up and you just can't! Damien carried Matthew down and I tried to wheel Emily downstairs but they both woke up! Lucky for us, we were able to get their picture with Ariel despite half asleep looks!
During our lunch, Ariel, Belle, Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella came around to take pictures. Claire loved it but Emily was absolutely beside herself! Although Emily was so tired, she managed to pull it together! Even Michael jumped up from his seat at lunch to get a picture with Cinderella! While we were eating, I saw Jesse (from Toy Story) across the way. Damien immediately grabbed Emily and Matthew and headed across the water to see her! I loved that he did this without hesitation.
Everyone knows that Emily LOVES Jesse! Up to this point, Emily had been pretty scared of the characters. After Damien had waited in the line for over twenty minutes- it was their time! Emily was comfortable but also a little bit scared. How perfect! Matthew was glad that he could take some pictures with one of the Army Guys from the movie. too. It was the best. I think Emily could have gone home at this point. She loves Jesse so much. We were going to be at the park for three days and at the end of day two, we had done most of what we came to accomplish!
On the last day, our plan was simple. Do whatever the kids wanted to do. One of the main things Claire and Michael wanted to do was go on the ride Tower of Tower. Michael braved it for the first time on our last trip to Disneyland in 2009 so he was totally ready to go! Seamus loves this ride so he was super enthusiastic! Clairey was trying to stay calm. The goal was to not freak out and have to get out of line. She did great. Michael tried to freak her out a bit here and there but I just told her that they wouldn't let people go on the ride if they were not going to come off of the ride in one piece. After the ride was said and done, Claire loved it and wanted to do it again and again! Other firsts for her (other than Space Mountain) was Screamin' California! Again, all of the kids loved it and I think they went on it about six times during our three day stay!
The number one thing on Matthew's list was to participate in Star Wars Jedi Training Academy. For those that haven't seen it, it is awesome! I can't imagine anything cooler to a young Star Wars fan than this! You sit in a small amphitheater and wait for the twenty minute show to begin! It starts out with a Jedi Trainer walking through the crowd and telling all the kids that some of them will be chosen to train! We got there early because we wanted Matthew to have a front row seat (hoping it might improve his chances of being chosen). We asked Michael and Claire to try and get chosen and then asked that if they were chosen and Matthew had not been chosen- that they might forfeit their spot to Matthew. Claire whole heartedly agreed and Michael answered with, 'I'm not sure I can do that.' Okay then. Michael had already done this two times in previous years but he is pretty serious about the honor of being chosen to fight Darth Vader and Darth Maul.
We looked at the boy sitting next to us and saw that he had a hand drawn sign that said, 'Pick me to be your Padawan'. Oh man. People brought props! Maybe the Star Wars Lego t-shirt I dressed him in that morning wouldn't be enough! I turned to my sister-in-law who had tapped my shoulder and she handed me a pair of Mickey ears to make Matthew look more adorable (which is very hard to do)! Brilliant. The Trainer started the show and started walking around to pick the kids. First picked, the kid with the sign. Dang it! I knew I should have done something creative! Five kids later, Michael gets picked. He looks over at me and Matthew, pauses a moment, and then runs up to join the training. Okay. Now Claire and Matthew were our only chance to get Matthew picked! I whispered to Matthew to start jumping and waving his arms and then wondered if I looked like one of those pathetic stage Moms who does the routine in the audience while their kid is on stage. Mental note. Stop waving your adult arms and let Matthew take care of this! Wouldn't you know that Matthew got picked! A collective sigh could be heard from our group of twelve. We wouldn't have to stay for another show to see if he could get picked then. He got chosen now!
My Jedis in Training were doing great. They were taught the moves necessary to fight anyone from the Dark Side. Suddenly the stage started to rise and smoke was everywhere. Darth Vader and Darth Maul were here. Matthew and Michael were both chosen to fight Darth Vader and they looked serious. Perhaps a little too much so. When a young padawan fights Darth, there are scripted moves the kids make. Left shoulder, right shoulder, left leg, right leg, and then your done. Well, before Darth Vader fought Michael, he said "Join me in the Dark Side, it is the only way." If I were closer, I could've probably seen the hairs on Michael's neck rise as he was challenged by Darth Vader. I knew something was going to 'go down'. Sure enough, Michael went off script and tried to stab Darth Vader through his chest. NOT ON SCRIPT! This daring move elicited a comment from the trainer which said, "We're going to aim for his light saber. Remember that." I am sure the trainer was thinking, 'Note to self: Don't pick ten year old red headed boys anymore.' We were dying in the audience! In the end, Michael and Matthew successfully defended themselves against the Dark Side and for Matthew and Michael alike, their dream became a reality.
Some of the mentionables that I couldn't possibly expand on are: Matthew getting DRENCHED to his undies on Splash Mountain, eating more churros, sour balls, Mickey ice cream bars and cream cheese filled pretzels than I could have imagined (yes, they have cream cheese filled pretzels and no they are not on my diet), seeing Michael so ridiculously happy that he got to spend three whole days with his cousin Seamus, watching all the girls pile into Lani's stroller, watching my three older kids zipline in Redwood Creek Challenge Trail in California Adventure, seeing Emily try and overcome her apparent fear of people in costumes with a brave high five (only Jesse got a hug), reminiscing with Damien about the times we used to come here before we had kids, letting the kids pick one prize (Michael and Matthew made their own double light sabers, Claire picked a cute kitty box that held stickers, pencil sharpeners, etc. and Emily chose a Minnie Mouse that spins her skirt when you press a button). We had the best time in the Happiest Place on Earth.
There is no way to fully capture the magic this trip held for all of us. Too many funny stories, moments of hysterics, and times where we saw our children truly full of wonder. This trip was amazing and I can't wait to go back again!
Saturday, June 04, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love all the pictures of the kids enjoying all the magic that Disney has to offer!
What a great trip! You guys are stinking adorable!!!
Post a Comment