Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy 2nd BARFday, Em!

You know, sometimes things just don't go the way you planned.  We flew up to my Mom and Dad's once school was out for summer to spend a week with my family.  One of the plans while we were up there was to have a birthday party for Emily.  My Mom had a great idea!  Why don't we have a cowgirl party for her since she just got her new Jesse gear!  I thought it sounded like so much fun!  In preparation, I shopped for all the party supplies down in San Jose.  I bought party plates, party napkins, cowboy hats, streamers, and a cute Happy Birthday sign.  Did we use them?  Stay tuned . . .

The day before Emily's party I did a huge shop at Safeway and Costco to get all of the food for the party.  That night, my Mom and I did some food prep and went to sleep in order to have the energy to cook for 36 people the next day.  Emily and I woke up and things seemed good.  We talked about her party and she was just so happy!  I sat in one of my Mom's comfy chairs with a cup of coffee and gave Emily her morning bottle.  Then, it happened.  SPLAT!  Huge projectile vomit.  Uh huh.  The kind that makes you think, 'Um, yeah.  That was not good."  All of us worried that maybe she had the stomach flu.  I always think you need to see the second vomit in order to know that it wasn't just a fluke.  Fifteen minutes later, SPLAT.  Dangit!  I couldn't believe it.  Emily had the stomach flu on the day of her party.

I had been looking forward to seeing all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandmas.  To say that I was disappointed would be the understatement of the year.  I was bummed but I couldn't have felt worse than Emily did.  My Mom and Dad got on the phones and called off the party.  Then, I thought about all the food that would go to waste.  And what about the giant half sheet cake I bought yesterday?  This was not good!

Emily didn't barf anymore after those two episodes but it was clear she was sick.  After her afternoon nap, she caught a second wind.  It was as if she was never sick.  She ran and ran and ran around the house like the morning of illness had never happened!  We even got out the sheet cake, stuck in the candle that Laura got her, and sang Happy Birthday!  We ended up barbecuing some of the meat that we had purchased and just had a small party with our family.  Emily put on her boots and hat and had the time of her life- completely oblivious to all of the party canceling done earlier in the day.

We were able to reschedule and get everyone, yes everyone, over to my parent's house before we left.  I was so touched that everyone cared enough to make it.  We celebrated my Dad, Emily, and Uncle Chico's birthdays that evening.  The more the merrier!  Emily had a blast and although I had to go and buy more food to feed everyone, it all worked out in the end!

It wasn't like we had planned, but we got it done nonetheless!  Happy 2nd Birthday (Part 2) Emilini!!! 

So, I must add here that a few days after we headed back to San Jose, my Dad was stricken with Emily's stomach flu which landed him in the hospital for four days.  The tests run in the hospital never detected the flu but based on the knowledge that Emily was sick and my witnessing Grandpa and Emily share a piece of cake on her 'sick day'- we knew she had shared this very special gift with her Grandpa.  See how much she loves him?  She shares with him!  He is all better now.  Thank goodness that is behind us!

No comments: