Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day.  A day where I am thankful for my own Dad.  Thankful for the hours he spent with me as a child.  Great memories of kicking the soccer ball around and shooting hoops.  Long car rides, great conversations.  Needless to say I am blessed.  On the flip side, I want all of these memories for my kids, too!

Damien is an amazing father.  He finds a way to balance his work, his kids, his wife, and his focus in life.  He is more amazing than I could ever have dreamed him to be.  He reads books to the kids, he coaches their sports teams, he helps me around the house, plays Star Wars and Legos, plays P-Daddy, wipes tears, induces much laughter and lets all of know how much he loves us.  This day is so important to me because without either of them, I wouldn't be who I am today!

We had a lot of cute treats planned for Damien.  On Saturday, we sent him out for a massage which he loved!  I tried to convince my Dad to go with him, not for a couples massage, but for a relaxing time.  No dice.  It was worth a try, though!  On Sunday morning, the kids proudly presented him with their school made treasures.  They were so worried I wouldn't pack them for the trip but I wouldn't think of it!  We got him some new shoes, new Adidas sandals, a Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker figures with the title "I Am Your Father!", some SCU gear, and a few other treats.  (God love Laura and her amazing signs.  She will always have a sign made for any occasion.  You never need to ask her or remind her- she always has one ready!)

As usual, the kids gave him their hand chosen gift cards and Damien loved it!  Michael chose to go to PF Chang's with Dad, Claire chose Cluck U. Chicken, Matthew chose Subway and Emily chose Cold Stone.  Should be some fun Daddy/Child dates in the near future! 

My Mom and I had agreed that a fun Father's Day dinner idea was to make it a Mardi Gras themed event.  My Mom and Dad went to New Orleans last year and my Mom bought a cookbook there- promising to try some recipes from it.  When I bought the cowgirl party supplies, I also bought beads and masks to help make the dinner feel special!

The Dads and kids alike loved the theme and the food was so ridiculously good!  We made red beans and rice, shrimp gumbo, and bananas foster. My Mom did most of the work but I helped where I could.  To sum it up . . . this food was so yummy!  Happy Father's Day to my Dad, Damien's Dad, and of course, Damien (and all the other Father's in our lives)!

No comments: