Tuesday, January 24, 2012

49er Fever

My husband is a huge San Francisco 49er fan.  His devotion to his team is just as strong now as it was when I met him back in college.  I loved that he loved a sports team!  Being that I am very sports minded- it gave us an immediate common ground and provided us with many fun Sunday's in front of the television.  In the beginning, we used to drive up to Millbrae, California to watch the 49er games with Damien's grandmother, Hellie.  The memories I have with her are priceless.  Damien loved his Hellie.  I will never forget how special their relationship was and I know that a lot of Damien's love for the 49ers has to do with her.

For the past oh, I don't know- ten years the Niners have been pretty terrible.  Instead of the awesome Steve Young filled Sundays I remembered in the late 90s, we have watched inconsistent and unsuccessful attempts at success.  It has been painful to say the least.  And my husband, God love him, has NEVER given up on them.  He watches every play of every game.  Even during the seasons when 'Wide' Richey was kicking and in the last several disappointing seasons with Alex Smith.  While he has been watching them get creamed, I have been watching the kids.  I always think that if I am going to watch the kids for three hours on a Sunday, at least it could be for a winning team.

Bring on the 2011-2012 season!  A new coaching change with Jim Harbaugh, new confidence in key players, and the 49ers found a way to win!  Yahoo!  Our Sundays are happy again!  This season was awesome.  Sundays were a day full of excitement again.  Our kids have really started to watch the game and understand the rules.  It reminds me of learning the game while sitting next to my Dad when I was younger.  I remember asking about a million questions because it is a really confusing game.  My Dad answered every question I had and didn't make me feel stupid about it. 

Screen Grab from the Monday Night Game!
Damien's brother Ryan was able to pull a few strings and got Damien on the field for one of the games.  Can you say dream come true?  It was a Monday night football game and Damien even got on television!  My phone started ringing off the hook after all of my friends saw Damien just outside the end zone after a HUGE 49er play.  I know he will never forget that experience!

Damien Rockin' his vintage 49er gear.  Yes, those really are Jerry Rice's pants.
The Niners made it to the playoffs this year and won the NFC West Championship!  It was so awesome!  Four lead changes in the last four minutes on the road to victory.  It was my kids' first time really getting into a football game.  Imagine how excited we all were for the NFC Championship game.  If we just won this last game- we would be going to the Superbowl! 

Claire in her CRAZY 49er gear.  Look at Sweetie Pie's tongue! 
We went over to Mark and Jocelyn's house for the BIG game.  All of Hellie's favorite football food dishes were proudly on display.  Damien brought over Hellie's Hellie Bear Cookie Jar for good luck and Damien also dug out some of his old forty-niner gear.  Michael and Claire were so nervous for the game.  I loved that they actually cared!

Monday Night Football
Turns out, the 49ers didn't bring their A game tonight.  It was rough.  We had chances all the way up the end- but they never panned out.  By the end, three out of my four kids were crying with disappointment.  No Superbowl for the 49ers but luckily, we really can look forward to a great season next year!

The Infamous Hellie Bear Cookie Jar

No comments: