Sunday, January 08, 2012

School Projects

I have been through my fare share of parenting woes.  I thought that raising little kids was hard but I take it back.  Raising school aged kids with HUGE projects that can dramatically affect their grade is the pits.  It is so hard because you don't want to do it for them!  If I have a deadline for something, I can't get it out of my head and if I let the project linger long enough- I will get completely stressed out.  Well- that's not how Michael operates.  It doesn't seem to stress him one bit.  I am constantly saying, 'Hey- I think you should work on a page or two of your project.'  He is as cool as a cucumber and doesn't seem to get stressed by impending due dates.  I don't get it.  Is he not stressed because he knows when it comes down to it that I won't let him fail?  Does he know that the later he postpones his project- the more I will probably assist him?  Don't answer either of those.  I just figured out the answer.

No one was harmed in the staging of this picture :)
So, the question is this:  How much should you help your child with their projects?  I want to set a good example for him and show him that he should try his very best at all times.  I also want him to know that the thoughts and ideas for these projects should be generated mostly by him.  It's hard to step back sometimes and give full responsibility to him with these projects.  However, after writing this blog- I realize that is exactly what I need to do for him to realize that it is HIS responsibility.  Michael truly is a phenomenal student.  Perhaps I underestimate the fact that he can do all of this on his own.  After all, I am not sitting by him throughout his school day when he is consistently successful.  He does it without me there!  Ah, the joys of parenting.  Much like our children in school- we are constantly learning, too.

2 comments:

Sheelagh said...

this is one of the parenting situations I do not look forward to and am glad I have you to show me how. Looks like you are doing well and learning as you go! I love the picture!!

the uffelmans said...

once again i will say: "not sure how you do it".