Saturday, September 22, 2012

Claire's 10th Birthday Party

This year, we had a hard time trying to come up with a creative birthday party for Claire.  We have pretty much outlawed big slumber parties (see Claire's last birthday party) but we wanted to come up with something fun for our soon to be ten year old!  After much deliberation, Claire decided to take her friends to a celebrity soccer match hosted by Brandi Chastain!

The event was held at San Jose Municipal Stadium (where the San Jose Giants play).  The day was absolutely gorgeous and Claire was more than excited to see her friends!  The plan was . . . how do you say it . . . crazy.  Most of the girls met at our house, but then some of them met us at the stadium.  In some state of delirium, I thought that taking nine girls to this all day party by myself was a good idea.  I'm still trying to figure out how made that decision.  It's not that they are rowdy girls or misbehaved- it's just that having to take all nine with me everywhere I went was hard.  If one had to use the restroom- we all went.  Plus, there were so many people there that I must have counted to nine a million times.  1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 . . . got em! 

The weather today was gorgeous and hot.  We had great seats on the bleachers with a great view of the game.  Claire sat in the middle of her friends and ate up all the attention, as she should.  It was fun to see San Jose Sharks players, World Cup soccer players, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brandi Chastain and others play a fun game of soccer all in the name of charity!


Once the game was over- we went down on the field and met some of the players.  A lot of the celebrities were signing autographs and the girls were just star struck!  Most of Claire's friends play soccer so meeting Brandi was just amazing for them!  I had told her ahead of time we were coming for Claire's birthday and she told me she was going to give Claire a birthday shout out during the game.  Although she forgot to say it, Claire still felt really cool that she knew who she was!

Part of the sell for the celebrity soccer match was the Disney concert afterward.  A few Disney stars performed which made Claire and her friends swoon.  First up was a performer named Damien who is from the show The Next Big Thing.  I didn't have a clue who he was but the girls sure did!  He threw Claire a bracelet from the stage and we were laughing because on the bracelet was the name Damien with hearts.  She felt the need to clarify that this bracelet did not mean she had a crush on her Dad.  Too funny. 

And then Shane from Good Luck Charlie came on stage.  Oh . . . my . . . goodness!  My ear drums were aching within minutes of his first song!  All the girls at the event were going absolutely crazy!  Screaming and screaming and screaming like girls their age do!  It was so awesome to see them enjoying themselves and making an awesome memory!  If I was a girl their age in the front row of a concert, I would have died!

Part of my awesome planning was not realizing that I didn't have room in my car to take home nine girls.  Seriously, I must have had a head cold the day I planned this party.  Thankfully, Damien saved the day by coming to the stadium and driving a group of girls home in his car.  Before we knew it- we were all home and all the girls had been picked up from the party.  And there sat Clairey.  A little sunkissed from a fun day in the sun, ears still ringing from all music, her voice tired from screaming, but the a look of sweet happiness written all over her face.

I know she had a great day.  It was just what Damien and I wanted for her.  She felt loved, special, important and holy smokes- she is turning ten!  Happiest of birthdays, Claire.  We love you and can't believe you are almost ten years old!  But for now- will cherish the next five days when you are our little nine year.  Five more days until double digits!

No comments: