Hi. This is Emily. I've had a really crazy week! It started off this past weekend when my Dad took me up to Healdsburg for the weekend to visit E and Papa. We had a wonderful time up there while my Mom was away for the weekend with her friends. On Saturday, I went with the park with everyone. I watched my brothers and sister climb on the more difficult toys and was frustrated that my Dad told me that I couldn't go on some toys and kept telling me to be careful.
At the park, Matthew told my Dad that he had to go to the bathroom. My Dad told me to be safe on the toys while he was gone. E and Papa were watching us while we laughed, climbed, and ran around the park. Claire was on a toy that was spinning her around and around. It looked like so much fun! As soon as she got off, I hopped on. I figured that Daddy wouldn't be back for a few minutes so I better do this quick. The toy started spinning and I was loving it! Around and around I went. It was fun until it started to go faster, and faster, and faster. Pretty soon- I was going so fast that I didn't think I could hold on anymore! Before I knew it, my hands slipped off and I went crashing into the ground.
| "Daddy, be quiet and let me tell my side of the story!" |
| Nonna and Grandpa sent me Doc McStuffins for being so brave! |
| Just a small ring of swelling above my wrist. |
| Waiting patiently for Dr. Safir and not using my right arm. |
At the radiology clinic, I was a bit nervous. When they called me back to get an x-ray, I made sure to hold my Mom's hand. She promised me that this wouldn't hurt but I was scared that the room was dark and the machines were big. The lady who took my x-ray was super nice. She moved my arm into position and then told me to hold really still. That was no problem. After each picture, she told me I could wiggle it around. I misunderstood what she was saying so instead of wiggling my fingers, I wiggled my whole body and shook my booty. Mom though this was hysterical!
It was clear from the x-ray that I had broken something in my arm. It wasn't until we went to the Orthopedist right after the x-ray that we learned that I had broken my arm in three places. Yep. Broken arm in three places and have been living with it for four days. Mom says I am crazy tough. Mom and I were both excited to see Monica Sweet (who has a daughter in Claire's class and is Mom's friend) working at the Orthopedist. She made me feel really comfortable because she knows me and was being extra nice! I wasn't scared when she started putting my cast on.
She explained everything and as usual, I was being brave. I was wearing bright pink running shoes at the appointment and she asked if I wanted a bright pink cast to go with my shoes! I totally agreed! Bright pink cast? That's perfect for me! Dr. Sweet even gave us the waterproof cast (an extra $40) for free. Mom said she would have paid double for that anyway. I can be kind of a messy kid so the idea that I can swim, bathe, wash my hands, and not worry about getting this cast wet and stinky is awesome!
I love my cast. I wish I didn't break my arm but I like that I am getting a lot of attention from people. Right when we got home from the doctor, I got on a bike and was riding around. I think I heard the doctor say, "Emily needs to take it easy and not do anything physical for a few weeks," but I am not so sure she knows who I am. I don't set limits and really never stop moving. This cast better be strong enough for me! While I like the look of the cast, I did ask Mom to take it off of me before dinner. She explained that for the next six weeks, I need to become best friends with my cast and can't take it off. Ugh. Mom also told me that my cast is kind of like a weapon and I need to make sure I don't hurt anyone with it. A weapon on my arm? My siblings will fear me even more? This sounds amazing!
I took some Motrin the night I got on my cast on but throughout this whole debacle (breaking my arm, swimming with a broken arm, wrestling, being Emily, getting casted, etc.) I've been the perfect patient. Thanks Mom for noticing my arm was broken or it might have never been diagnosed. I guess I should start to listen to my pain receptors and tell Mom if I am hurt. Nah. I like to keep everyone guessing!
2 comments:
lis - the dreaded post. such a sweet way to capture such a sad thing... emily is amazing.
Oh my goodness Emily, I think this was probably traumatic for you mom. You sound like it was no big deal though so good for you! I LOVE the bright pink color of your cast.
Our baby David broke his leg this summer too and he was only 1 yrs old. I guess it was the summer of too much fun!
Post a Comment