Tuesday, February 17, 2009

20 Weeks

Claire is so interested in my pregnancy. She waits almost as eagerly as I do for the day that I change weeks. We had talked about how there were forty weeks in a pregnancy and she was as excited as I was to turn twenty weeks! I don't know what it is that made me so happy this week. Naturally, it felt good to at the official half way point of the pregnancy. There is something about knowing that you have climbed the hill and are now on your way back down that feels good. Well, I am now walking downhill and treading very carefully because I know that one of these weeks, the journey will become more difficult. It will just be my job to keep moving forward despite the way this hill twists and turns.

My next big milestone to hit is 25 weeks. I don't expect a lot of people to identify with the real significance of this week for me. I know a lot of you know about Michael's entrance into the world four months premature, but I don't expect you to know how terrifying it is to know that it just could happen again. While I am hoping and praying for a better result, 25 weeks also represents life to me. It represents to me the chance of survival if born at this gestation. In order for this whole pregnancy to give me something in the end- I have to make it to 25 weeks to have a chance. It is hard to feel this beautiful life in my tummy and worry that something might take that away from me. I am hoping that this cerclage saves me again from any early scares- but just based on my history and what I have been through, I can't just not feel a little scared around this time. I am so happy to be twenty weeks and will cherish each and every week until I get to 25 weeks where I will breathe a small sigh of relief. After that point, each week is a huge blessing to both me and my baby!

On a side note, I have to write a small disclaimer. After my pregnancy with Matthew someone told me that they thought that my blog was depressing and a total downer while I was pregnant. I respect their opinion, although admittedly, I was a tiny bit put off because my blog is a place for me to write about my feelings and find some clarity through all of my struggles as well as enjoy the wonderful moments of my life. No one has walked a day in my shoes and so I wouldn't expect any one person to completely identify with my thoughts and feelings. I choose to write my truth, my real feelings and not sugarcoat things. The blogs I love to read are the blogs where people are real and risk judgement by telling their own truth. When you visit someone's blog, you make a purposeful choice to enter a place where people put themselves out there and share their lives. I don't blame the earlier mentioned reader's opinion about my blog during pregnancy. I just hope you understand that when you visit my blog, you are getting a real dose of my feelings, hopes, and fears. What you see, is what you get and I hope you continue the journey with me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen sister! you go girl! i admire your honesty and courage to write what you're going through in such a graceful way! love you!

Sheelagh said...

True that Lisa! I'm glad you have a place to write this down, get it out, and go back and look at it again later in life.
I can't even imagine what pregnancy is like for you. My mom also had difficulties in pregnancy and I can never imagine what that was like for her. I can only empathize and share my hopes for you. It's good to hear that you're at 20 weeks and I'm sure the next 5 will fly by. Best of luck!!

JKS said...

I love the picture. I love that you are so big already and that you are brave enough to share what is really going on for you. So do you have a boy feeling or a girl feeling?? I'm sure out of everyone, Claire is dying to know!

Anonymous said...

Hi. i found your blog through a friends blog....hope that is ok...
anyway, I love your blog and dont find it depressing at all. I am also pregnant and dealing with a cervix that doesnt want to stay closed, gotten worse with my last 2 chldren. you are an inspiration for how to get through this and stay positive and hopeful. also you are weeks ahead of me and give me insight into what is coming. thanks!

Teal said...

I love reading your blog because it is always very honest and entertaining. And you are right - this is your space and we are just the voyeurs! You are doing and looking great!

Danielle said...

The thing I love most about your blog is it's "you". I love catching up with you through your blog and knowing what you are thinking, feeling and experiencing. It's what life is all about. Keep up the wonderful work.

Unknown said...

I love your blog, Lisa! Your honesty is the best part! You look awesome, btw! Next time you are in Kirkland, call me so we can hook up!