Monday, February 16, 2009

Little Gymnast

Our family took the winter off from extracurricular activities. After a long season of fall soccer and taking into consideration the fact that I would be trying to get through my first trimester of this pregnancy, we decided a quiet winter at home would be great. So far, we have enjoyed sleeping in on Saturdays (as opposed to getting up for games) and just enjoying the freedom of a whole weekend to do what we want! After all, my kids are still really young and I don't think they need to be over scheduled at this point. I know the crazy scheduling will be here in a few years so why not enjoy some sanity now???

We signed Michael up to play spring baseball and he has been so excited. I asked Claire if she wanted to play softball and she was not interested. She instead thought she might want to do tap, ballet, or gymnastics. After some thought, she decided to do gymnastics and is absolutely loving it!!! We took a trial class at a great gym a few miles from our house and I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't 'let's sing some songs while holding a parachute' (although I think that is great for little kiddos). This was a full on gym where Claire is pushed to the max! It is so fun to watch her try and manipulate her body on the different apparatuses. Claire is super tall and I swear her limbs lengthen by an inch every couple of weeks (I am exaggerating but you know what I mean). She goes in and out of these growth spurts and I can totally tell when she is in one. She tends to be less coordinated and I swear- sometimes at dinner she will be sitting in her chair eating and somehow fall off the chair onto the floor. Gymnastics is helping her so much on being aware of her body and her limbs and learning how to use her core strength to be successful at an activity.

She is loving the bars and the balance beam and smiles so big when she is on the trampoline. Enrolling Claire in gymnastics was on my giant list of things-to-do and I am so happy I followed through and got her started. She goes to class once a week for an hour and when she is done- she is so satisfied with herself- not to mention exhausted. I feel great watching her because she looks so happy out there. Claire got to pick out a new leotard and you can tell she feels really cool in it. Claire is just so happy and it makes me feel so good. I do laugh quietly a bit when I look out on the floor and see these little petite girls next to Claire who is just so tall for her age. She is hanging in there and having the time of her life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sissy looks gorgeous!

Sheelagh said...

It's great to hear you talk about your happy, confident girl. I do love my girls and the stages they're in, but I hope someday that my girls are so strong in that way! Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

Danielle said...

Yahoo for tall girls ;-)!! You go Claire!