
It's incredible how quickly things can change in the house. We can have a few harmonious days, and then with the flip of a switch- the kids can have a really hard time getting along. Because Michael and Claire are so close in age, they have generally liked a lot of the same things despite their difference in gender. Matthew, well he is kind of in a world of his own where no one threatens his toys- he instead can bug the older two at times by wanting to play with their things. One major thing that has happened lately is a discrepancy in television shows. I try not to let the kids watch too much TV, but there are definitely times during the day when I need a little help from the 'electronic babysitter'.

One TV time that helps me out quite a bit is in the morning before Michael and Claire go to school. For months, the two of them dragged on in the morning and it was hard to get them out of here on time. Then one day, I told them if they hurry and get dressed, brush their teeth, and get their hair done- they could watch TV if there was any time left. Presto! They are different kids now that I have given them a little reward if they hustle! Life was great and my little plan was working perfectly until they both decided that they didn't want to watch each other's show. Claire doesn't want to watch a 'boy show' and Michael feels the same about 'girl shows'. Now I have to assign a morning to one of them and then flip flop mornings so that it is fair. So my plan was working perfectly until Matthew decided that neither the 'boy show' or the 'girl show' were good enough for him. He really doesn't watch a lot of television but if he does- he wants to watch Sesame Street (in particular
Elmo's World) or Curious George. Now in the mornings if he notices his show isn't on- he will yell 'Monkey' or '
Melmo'!

I totally respect people that don't have a TV in their house. More power to you! That is just not the route for me and I don't really see anything wrong with the kids watching a show from time to time (as long as the content is monitored by me). Before, a television show provided me a brief relief but these days, it seems more like a headache. I just think it is funny how one day I can have it all figured out, and the next- I don't know where my routine went! As all the kids get older, their age and gender will play a bigger role in their differences. I don't blame Michael for not wanting to kick back and watch
My Little Ponies and I certainly sympathize with Claire and her dislike of
Transformers. I also don't blame Michael and Claire for getting bored with
Elmo. I must say, however, that both the older kids are really good at adapting to the other's likes when they have to. For instance, Claire can get into
Star Wars whereas I can't stand to watch a minute of it. And if Claire is watching
Barbie and the Island Princesses, Michael can suck it up and get into it too. I guess I should just brace for the future and find a way to sort our their differences or just let them deal with it themselves! When I think back to my childhood, I am pretty sure I bullied my younger sisters into watching what I wanted to watch. It just must be the way it goes! So basically, I am left with few options to solve the
television debacle. I could threaten to take away the television- but come on. If I didn't have my dose of reality TV from time to time, I would not be happy. Moms need TV, too!
4 comments:
Pulease. Are you really trying to say that we didn't watch what you wanted when we were younger? How about you making me watch Silence of the Lambs when I was 9? I still can't listen to 'american girl' the same. Two words Lis- Spring Fancy. :)
I don't think Melmo is really that bad of a solution. Nat and I really got a kick out of his blue, blue, blue suede shoes many times over. Figaro C. Figaro A.
Oh, the things we have to deal with. Seriously! TV is supposed to be relaxing and give us a "break" or at least some time to finish the dishes. Good luck with that one! I can see how gender really play a part in their sibling relationships.
Goose kinda looks like Travis Barker in that one picture with the glasses. Soooo cute!
I agree with Gina. What about when Mom and Dad thought that The Patriot was a family movie? I was in third grade.
So excited to come down! T-minus 3 weeks! Woo hoooo!
I flip flop between wanting to throw it out the window and the temptation of having it on all day. Brennan could sit ALL DAY and watch TV. a little scary. I keep saying that we are going to have a "no tv week". Haven't got that brave yet. mommy likes her breaks!
Post a Comment