There is nothing more frightening to me than suspecting that one of my kids is sick. My thought process usually works like this. I have a little hot flash imagining having to take care of my child and then start major hot flashes when I think of all of them getting sick at the same time. Then I usually try and think about what kind of virus we are dealing with. The thoughts of vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, and no sleep stream through my brain and then I always think to myself, 'Do I have enough Tylenol and Motrin?' Once the hot flashes are gone, I try and really evaluate what we are dealing with. This involves announcing to the whole house that 'We are on Operation No Sharing!!!' and I usually quarantine the sick child on the couch. Of course I have this little pipe dream that maybe we won't all get sick. 'Maybe because I acted so quickly we will minimize the damage of this nasty little virus'. Then the image of my now sick child sharing his/her apple with Matthew earlier in the day sets in and I know that we are screwed. Better hunker down and prepare for the misery ahead!No one likes to be sick and even worse- no one likes it when one or more of your kids are sick at the same time. These negative and overwhelming thoughts can pour through your head but the only thing that makes it better is weathering the storm (and a bowl of ice cream before bed). Michael had had a sore throat for a few days and soon Claire did too. Then- that same day I got a strep throat notice from his school so I was convinced they both had it. They couldn't eat- couldn't sleep. Basically- they were miserable. I medicated them as much as I could and really tried to make them comfortable. Claire started barfing but luckily she is the most controlled barfer I know and made it in the garbage can I set next to her bed. OF COURSE- they both really got sick on a Friday night which is just lovely because the pediatrician's office is closed. I did manage to get them both in on Sunday morning for a strep culture that ultimately showed up as negative. I guess the virus going around is one that mirrors strep but isn't strep. Monday morning, Michael screamed in pain that his ear was popping off his head. I took him in Monday and sure enough- he had an ear infection. They both stayed home from school until Wednesday and I was close to being at my wit's end.
Later that week, (when Damien was in Chicago for three days of work) I noticed drainage from Michael's ear that was NOT normal. I will spare you the details but I knew for a fact that he had ruptured his eardrum (he ruptured his eardrum two years ago and it looked the same) . I waited a few days because I knew he was on antibiotics but it just kept getting worse. I made him an appointment on Friday and sure enough- his eardrum was all kinds of yucky. I had to throw away the old antibiotics and get a new one and wouldn't you know that he had an allergic reaction to it? Damien flew in on Friday night and as he walked in the door at 10:30 p.m. I pushed him back out of it and told him to go to the store to get Benadryl fast. Michael was struggling and we almost had to take him into the ER because we couldn't control the negative side effects of the meds. To make a long story even longer- we eventually had to give up the oral antibiotics and instead opt for a major dose of antibiotics via shots in Michael's thighs. Ouch! It did the trick and thankfully- I was able to send Michael to school on Wednesday making this the second week in a row he missed two days of school!
I then made the biggest mistake ever and proclaimed our house 'Illness Free' which of course only jinxed me further as Matthew started to fever one day later (which lasted for three miserable and sleepless nights). Seriously. I thought I was going to go nuts! Oh, yeah. And I am pregnant and trying to take it easy. This was no easy streak of illness to get over. By the end, Damien and I were spent. Sometimes I think I am crazy to worry so much when I detect illness in one of my kids. Then I remember miserable viruses like this one and remember why I am so crazy about it.
I am going to go out on a limb here and declare our house healthy. Did I again jinx myself? I guess we'll all just have to wait and see!
No comments:
Post a Comment