
Michael has been waiting patiently to get his chance to play baseball. Last year, I was a little behind the times and missed the sign-up period. Well this year, I made certain that I would be one of the first people to sign up so that Michael could play! He was so excited to be drafted to the Pirates! His excitement grew even more when we went shopping to buy all the necessary gear for him to play. Let me first start off reminding you that I am from a family with five girls. There are definite accessory differences between boys and girls. I was a little taken aback when I was told that they wear athletic cups at this level. It never even crossed my mind! Just get a laugh picturing me maneuvering my way through Sports Authority looking for this. Eventually- I asked for help because seriously- I had no clue!

When I think back to my childhood- I have so many wonderful memories of playing softball as a little girl. I started playing in Kindergarten and think I finally hung up my cleats after seventh grade. I have so many memories with my Dad that involve throwing the ball around in the backyard, having him hit grounders to me (or rather
at me), playing around at the ballpark all day with my sisters (there were three of us playing at one time so chances were we were going to be at the park for a long time), and just developing a real love for the game. This Saturday, Michael had opening ceremonies for Willow Glen Little League. It was a lot of fun and I loved every minute of it. They assembled all the teams in the outfield and then one by one the teams were announced and got to run around the bases. They were playing some great music and while Michael's team was announced- they were playing the song,
Put Me In Coach. I don't know if it was just me being emotional or if it is the pregnancy, but I totally started tearing up at the vision of my sweet Michael all dressed up running the bases. It woke me up and made me realize,
Wow! Here we are. Here I am! I have a child that is at this awesome stage in life where they get to play Little League and enjoy being a kid to the fullest. I put my sunglasses on so I didn't look like the giant sap that I was and enjoyed watching all these kids have their moment.

Michael had his first game and we couldn't have been more excited for him. In his league- the ball is machine pitched which takes a little getting used to. The speed of the pitch in combination with difficult hand/eye coordination are all things that take a little getting used to. On Michael's first time up- he made contact with the ball a few times- but they were all foul. They get seven pitches to work with so he went to the dugout without a true hit. The second time he was up, he took a few great swings, but no hit. Then he hit the ball and you could see the excitement running through his veins as he touched first and rounded for second only to realize when he got there- that one of his teammates was still there. So he hurried and ran back to first and was safe! His teammates did great and hit him home and he was
thrilled to experience scoring a run for the first time! He had a great game and you could just see the confidence he gained by the end of the game. He fielded ground balls, caught a few balls, and got a hit. I was so happy that he had a positive first experience. By the end of the game, my heart had swelled with pride from watching Michael play. I can't wait for the rest of the season and to see him get to know the game better and hopefully develop a real love for it.
1 comment:
he looks so handsome in his uni! so excited to come down and watch my mikester practice!
Post a Comment