In years past, I have put a lot more effort into St. Patrick's Day than I did this year. I did buy Claire a shirt in advance where she brilliantly suggested that I buy a shirt she could wear year round rather than a shirt that only worked on St. Patrick's Day. I knew Michael could pick from a handful of green shirts to wear. And Matthew- well, I didn't get him anything but luckily had a green hat around the house that made it look as though I put an ounce of effort into making him look festive! I am starting to battle myself a bit. Sometimes I want to go out and run a bunch of errands and get some things that I want, but then I need to be more rational and remember to take it easy and just get through this pregnancy. In an effort to multitask and to please my Irish husband- I went to the store to get items for Irish Soda Bread. Would you know they were out of caraway seeds and buttermilk! Opportunity lost because I knew I couldn't justify going to the store the next day to look for the items again! Maybe next year!
Damien got the kids ready for school and drove carpool in the morning in order to give me a little more time to rest because I had an appointment that morning to see my doctor. He did an awesome job making sure they all were dressed in their festive clothes and even did Claire's hair in pigtails with coordinating ribbons. I love that he can do this so well and make Claire look cute even when I am not there to do it. When I picked up carpool after Claire's school day- two of her friends said, "Your Dad did your hair like that? My Dad could never do that!" Claire responded, "Ya, my Dad is good at a lot of things!" It was really cute. I was excited to see Michael after school but also curious if he ate his lunch that day. As I was making lunches the night before St. Patrick's Day- Damien said I should put a little green food coloring in the cream cheese for Michael's bagel. I told him that if I did that- he wouldn't eat it. Apparently that morning, Damien prepped Michael about the festive green bagel and told him that it tastes exactly the same but just looks different. Well, when Michael got home from school- it was no shocker to see the barely touched bagel in his lunch box. He said it tasted moldy! That is the thing about Michael. He loves things that are predictable and when you surprise him and throw him a little off course- he is not comfortable. I must admit though- when I look at the picture of his bagel it makes me a little queasy.
That night during dinner, Claire said to Michael "Today is your day. You are SOOOO Irish!" Damien then said to Claire, "You are just as much as Irish as Michael." Claire responded, "No- I'm Italian and Michael is Irish." We tried to explain that no matter what they look like that they are made of the exact same things. We had a nice dinner (the kids wanted breakfast for dinner) and we tweaked the meal so that it was Irishy. Think green eggs, sausage, green banana pancakes, and cantaloupe. We had a nice night and I was happy I put aside some eggs and pancakes sans green coloring so that Michael would actually eat!
2 comments:
HAHA! That's funny about Michelle not eating green food, but the again green pancakes and green eggs sound interesting.
I LOVE Claire's comment about heritage. haha
You are awesome to be doing so much, you do have a lot on your plate so good for you for remembering to try to slow down. I know how hard that can be. I've had to do very little these first weeks after the birth and all I want to do is get out!!!
The girls had green milk that morning for breakfast and Kaitlynn wouldn't TOUCH it. I tried to tell her it was from the leprechaun's but it didn't work ;-). I'm glad you're trying to take it easy - you'll get your fill of festive St. Paddy's days with you 4 kiddies soon.
Post a Comment