Yes, it is that time of year again. The annual 'Wearing of the Red' on St. Joseph's Day! My Dad and Michael share this special saint day as they both have the middle name of Joseph. Michael looks forward to this day year round and this year he wasn't disappointed. He came home from school and talked about how much they learned about St. Joseph and Michael got to tell the class that his Grandpa celebrates his saint day today!
Because I can't travel- we weren't able to fly up north for the big St. Joseph's Day bash my parents host. This year- some 200 people came out to celebrate the 'wearin' of the red' while making valuable donations that will be sent to Malawi, Africa. Michael and his beginnings help start this event and I couldn't be prouder of Michael and my Dad for how their common middle name is changing lives across the world. There are a few traditions (aside from the spiritual ones) that my kids look forward to on their respective saint day. The first is that Grandpa gets them a special gift for them to enjoy and the second- is that they get to end the day with an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins! This year Grandpa gave Michael some new baseball cleats and a game for his Nintendo DS. I think it was a Club Penguin game but I wasn't sure because Michael tore into the package and I haven't seen much of him since! Thanks again Grandpa for finding a way to make my kids so happy while reminding them of the importance and relevance of their faith. We love you!
2 comments:
I love that your Dad does this. What a great Grandpa!
Pink D.S.
Post a Comment