
Michael is so happy to be playing baseball. It has finally clicked in his cute little head that when Spring comes- he gets to play baseball! This year he was drafted to the Angels! Well, drafted is a strong word as they didn't try out for teams but were placed on teams with their friends. Michael loves that he was put on the Angels, but Damien wasn't overly excited since they are another California baseball team and Damien is a SF Giants fan. I told him to get over it- and he did :). Damien is also going to help coach Michael's team this year which makes Michael so happy! It should be a great father/son bonding opportunity for them!

This year, Michael has an amazing head coach who gets that the best way to teach these boys is through basic fundamentals. He makes them do things the right way and I love this approach. It reminds me a lot of how my Dad taught me to play sports- so naturally, I am all for it! So far, Michael has had a handful of practices and one game. He is having an absolute blast and it makes
me happy to see
him so happy! The coach is rotating the kids through different positions to give them all experience. Michael played third base his last game and did great! He fielded grounders, seemed to have good presence and knew where the force outs would be, and even tagged out two guys as they came his way. The most hilarious part of the game was when a player on the other team was running from second to third and he saw Michael at
third with the ball. The kid
panicked and ran into left field to avoid Michael. Michael looked puzzled and knew the kid was running the wrong way but decided to chase him down anyway. He chased the little boy for about twenty-five seconds or so and they got so far away they looked like little ants out there! Michael finally tagged him out and ran back to the diamond looking awfully satisfied as we all held our stomachs which hurt after laughing so hard!!! It was a classic moment!

I know I probably sound like a broken record when talking about Michael and his beginnings but I can't help it. For so many days back in Paris, I silently grieved the potential limitations Michael might face. No matter how positive I tried to be, the reality and starkness of the situation would creep in. They told us so many things that could go wrong and how all of these medical interventions would probably affect the health and well-being of my little boy. To see him out there so strong, so healthy just makes my heart swell with pride. I am so thankful for Michael. A whole, healthy, amazing little guy who runs the bases and jumps for joy when he tags an opponent out. What a miracle he is. What a wonderful chance at life God gave him. We are so blessed. Maybe it was just happenstance that he was placed on the Angels, but it makes me smile a bit when I see him running around out there and I don't doubt for a minute that God gave him his own set of invisible wings.
1 comment:
Love these pictures...my little Mikester is all grown up..and..and savin China.
Post a Comment