Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

Coming from the only person in our family who is not Irish- Happy St. Patrick's Day! This holiday is a funny one. Definitely one to be celebrated but NOT a holiday that brings a lot of fuss or hoopla when it is on it's way! They way I prep for this holiday is to buy the kids a fun St. Patrick's shirt, sometimes buy them hats/headbands, and buy ingredients at the store to make Irish Soda Bread. It's as simple as that!
The kids were thrilled to have a free dress day at school. I was a bit bummed to learn they couldn't wear hats because Michael was looking forward to donning his new Cat in the Hatish green and white striped hat. The night before school, I caught him putting it in his backpack but I looked the other way. What would happen if he put on for a little bit at school? I know, usually I am more rule conscience but come on. They can't wear fun hats to celebrate the day?
Apparently, since Damien was a young lad- he has been aiming to make it through ONE St. Patrick's Day without getting pinched. He always wears an obvious green item but someone always pinches him as a joke. He thought this year might be the year but Claire pinched him first thing in the morning (she didn't know the back story, either). So good luck in the future Damien- especially since a lot of people you know and love read this blog!
When my kids came home from school, they were upset that the leprechauns didn't come to our house, turn over our chairs, and dye food green. Apparently, a lot of families at their school know leprechauns and it is a shame that we don't. I tried to make it better by explaining that if leprechauns did visit- we would have to clean up all of the mess they made. Michael and Claire thought about this and agreed that it was okay they didn't visit us. It didn't stop Michael from taping a poster to our front door- hoping that some passing leprechaun would see it and come in our house and search his room for gold. It was pretty cute. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you- Irish or not!
Michael's Irish Jig 2010
I saw a little leprechaun;
He hopped upon my head.
He smiled and winked and tipped his hat,
And this is what he said:
Please don't touch my gold.
It tastes like cheese and mold.
And when you say, "I'll make a wish"
I'll make a Scottish dish.

1 comment:

Nannie McPhannie said...

Dood. Yes. I especially like the 'since Damien was a young lad.' My babies all look so cute in that first picture. I miss them all!