Saturday, December 02, 2006

28 Weeks

Today I am 28 weeks! A great milestone, but not a place where I want this pregnancy to end. Day 2 of modified bedrest started out with me checking into the hospital this morning to receive the last of 2 shots of betamethasone. The kids were really excited to come to the hospital with us, but knew that we weren't there to to have the baby. When I got up to Labor and Delivery, we had to wait a minute to find out what room we were going to be in. The coolest part of the whole experience was that as we were walking into our room, the doctor in the next room delivered a little baby right when we were walking by. We heard the doctor say, "And here she is!". Then the baby started to cry little baby cries. The kids couldn't believe it! They didn't think it was real, but we told them that they just heard the first noise that the baby made and they were so giddy!

As we waited in our room to register and for the nurse to draw the medication, the kids looked around and figured everything out about the room from the little baby bed to the bed I would be laying in. I think that the visit to the hospital made this pregnancy even more real to them and they were so excited about eventually meeting their new brother or sister! After our big outing, I retreated to the couch for my bedrest and Damien went shopping for groceries. Boy- are we having fun these days!

I found myself getting a little overwhelmed last night about the prospect of bedrest. I completely understand that modified bedrest is not that big of a deal, but I think that in my mind it is just the start to the craziness that might be around the corner. Of course, I take some peace in knowing that the baby is getting bigger and that we are in a good place, but it is still hard to settle down and rest when I really want to be up and moving. For all of you worriers out there, I am resting even more than I should be! What gives me great perspective is that in Claire's pregnancy, I had already spent 28 days on full bedrest in the hospital, had gone into labor, and faced some pretty serious health issues. So when you look at it this way, to just be starting partial bedrest is awesome. I just hope it continues for a while.

So, here is to another good week! My parents come into town tomorrow (Sunday) and stay for a week so it will be a great way for me to feel supported and help me pass the time to my next appointment on Friday. I am so excited to see them and my kids are beyond anxious to have them in our house!

No comments: