Friday, December 01, 2006

Modified Bedrest Is Here

Well, the day has finally come. No matter how much we prayed or wished for things to stay as perfect as it has been . . . this day was coming. When I woke up this morning, I made a concerted effort to say out loud, "I am walking and am not on bedrest in December!". The reason I did this is that we had a pretty good idea that at this morning's appointment, we would be put on bedrest. The wait was long this morning and we were seen and hour and fifteen minutes late. To be truthful, it was nice to have some time to just talk with Damien and prepare ourselves for whatever news we might hear when the doctor came in. I try and schedule my doctor appointments when the kids are in school so I am not too distracted. So the long wait didn't really bother me.

When she came in, she was happy to hear that I had a quiet week and that there weren't any pressing issues to deal with (i.e. cramping, spotting, anything out of the ordinary). Every appointment, we go through the same three steps: First, she does an internal exam where she feels my cervix and the stitches to see if there are any changes. Upon doing this today, she said that we did have a change from last week, but that the cerclage (stitches) were still intact and holding which is really good! Second, she performs a trans-abdominal ultrasound to look at the baby and make sure that the heart rate is good and that there is adequate amniotic fluid. This test went well. And third, she does a trans-vaginal ultrasound where they go internally with a different ultrasound instrument and measure the cervical length on the computer screen. Step 3 was what put me on modified bedrest. Once the cervical length measures 2.5 cm or less, modified bedrest is a must. And today, the measurement was 2.39 cm. So, after almost 28 weeks of pregnancy and waiting weekly for the other shoe to drop, it finally did.

We are in really good spirits despite the change. Why you might ask? Well, for those that are familiar with premature birth, the first MAJOR milestone is getting the baby to 28 weeks (which is tomorrow). Also, if you look at my previous pregnancies, you realize that I never had any cervical length past 24 weeks. At 24 weeks with Michael's pregnancy I was dilated to 2cm, and with Claire's pregnancy I had no cervical length left at 24 weeks and was admitted to the hospital on full bedrest in both cases. So how can I complain or be unhappy with the fact that I am almost 28 weeks and in such great shape? The cerclage is definitly working and neither I, nor the baby, are in any imminent danger. The closer I get to my due date, the more drama we will face. So the doctors, Damien and I expected the tide to turn today.

At my appointment, I was administered the first of two shots of betamethasone, which is a steroid that once shot into my system goes directly to the baby's lungs to make them more mature in case of premature labor. I will get the next shot tomorrow at the hospital and find some peace that on the off chance labor does come, the baby is protected as much as possible. In both Michael and Claire's pregnancies, they both received the steroids at 24 weeks. Because Claire was eventually born full term, it was great to get them, but it made no difference because she was so healthy when she was born. But in the case of Michael and his being born at 25 weeks, it made more difference than we will ever know. He was on oxygen for a total of 3 months, but was able to come home without any oxygen support and has no long term lung complications (which is quite rare for what he has been through).

I know that the reality of the situation will hit me soon, but because I have been preparing emotionally for this change, I feel like I am in a good place. I have to lay down for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. I can still be brought out of the house in a wheelchair and walk around the house in the evening. My doctor was very insistent that I try and do normal things as much as I can. So I am looking forward to going out to dinner and seeing the outside world in the evenings. I can find great perspective in my situation because of everything I have been through with my other two children and their pregnancies. While no one wants to go on bedrest, I am certainly not scared of it. After all of this hard work, and a little pregnancy amnesia :) , I will have a beautiful baby in my arms and all of the hard or trying times will have been more than worth it. We are getting so much more excited to meet this baby with each and every passing day. And I will have plenty of time to think about this excitement from the couch as I do my best to make this baby the healthiest he or she can be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lis, I can't believe this day is here, hang in there and I am thinking about you, I will call you this weekend, you are doing great!!!