

What a week it has been! When my parents flew in this past Sunday, I was still in the hospital and hoping I would be released in time to see them! Unfortuately, I wasn't there when they landed or when they got to my house and saw the kids . . . but I was released from the hospital soon after and met them there. I couldn't believe the timing of my hospital visit, but I managed to find some peace with it because if something went wrong, at least they were there to help me. Lucky for all of us, I was soon home and we were catching up. My mom came to visit 3 weeks ago, but I hadn't seen my dad since August so it was a thrill to just sit on the couch and catch up.
We packed a lot into the week. We went to a Christmas celebration downtown, did some shopping, went out to dinner a few times, I went to a doctor's appointment with my Mom, the kids and Nonna made dozens of cookies, and my parents had their "Christmas Celebration" with the kids because they won't see them until after the first of the year. My parents took the kids to and from school, made lunches and dinners (okay, my mom did), played games with the kids (Michael smoked Grandpa in Memory), and most importantly kept me company and kept my mind off laying on the couch!!
Some of the highlights of the week were listening to the things the kids would say to my parents. Claire's way of telling them how much she loved them was saying, "I Love You More Than Bunnies". Grandpa enjoyed it when Claire would say, "Hank You" (instead of thank you). Michael stayed consistant with saying, "For real?" over and over. The "Good Sport" award went to my dad as he watched, The View, every morning with me and my Mom. But the story of the week was when Michael went up to my dad the second day they were here and asked him if he wanted to get a table and chairs to help sell his Spiderman comic books to Venom (one of Spiderman's enemies). My dad said to him, "But Spiderman isn't real." Michael assured him that he was real because he came to his birthday party this past year. Michael walked away and then came back a few minutes later and asked my dad, "Grandpa, do you believe in God?". My dad said, "Yes." He thought for a second and said, "Then Grandpa . . . believe in Spiderman." My dad was so touched by their conversation and felt at that very moment that they had connected.
I am sad that they are leaving, but feel like the week was full of such special quality time. The kids loved having Nonna and Grandpa here and my parents loved being here, too. Hanks for the memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment