Tuesday, March 24, 2009

25 Weeks = Deep Breath

Today is a great day for me. The sun is shining, my sister Natalie is here, and I am 25 weeks in this pregnancy! I am so happy and so relieved and just so content. This is always my first huge goal. 25 weeks into Michael's pregnancy- I gave birth to Michael. Despite every effort and a week of total bedrest, we couldn't stop the labor and this ultimately led to his birth. When I reach this point in the pregnancy- I always think of Michael and I remember laying in bed shortly after giving birth to him and wishing I could have done more. Today I have that opportunity!

I went to the doctor today and got great news that my cervix is still 3.6 cm long. There has been little change over the last three weeks and at this point- every week I can pass without bedrest is a true gift!!! The baby measured 1 lb. 14 oz (Michael was 1 lb. 9 oz) and looked very healthy. Of course, it was hiding it's face and wrapped around the placenta- but it still looked cute. Natalie was able to be at the ultrasound with Damien, Matthew, and myself and we all enjoyed getting a glimpse of the baby. The only negative thing at the appointment was that I found out I failed my glucose screen (a test for gestational diabetes) last week and next Thursday, I have to go to the doctor's office for four straight hours for the bigger glucose screen. Really? Of course I had to fail this test! I have passed it in each of my other three pregnancies but had to fail it this time! I had to laugh it off. There is a first time for everything, right?

Last night as I lay with Michael before bed- I explained to him that in just eight short hours, I would've given birth to him in his pregnancy. He understands that the baby in my tummy is small and he doesn't want it to go through what he had to. He then paused and said to me, "Mom, I am sorry if it was my fault." I immediately got choked up and gave him a big hug and told him, "Michael- it wasn't your fault and it wasn't Mommy's fault either. It was just the way you were supposed to come into this world." He thought about it for a second and asked me, "Do you think God planned it this way because He knew I was strong enough?" "Yes, Michael", I whispered. "God knew you were a strong strong boy". The exchange we shared was so touching and so gut wrenchingly difficult for me. I hope he never wasted a second wondering if what happened to him- to us, was his fault. I was so happy we had such a great talk last night. I am glad that he was able to tell me how he felt about his miraculous 'birth day' and voice his concern about being at fault. After he thought about what we had just talked about, he told me he hopes the baby can stay in there for a long time so that he/she doesn't need to get shots like he did when he was a baby. I couldn't agree more.

Today in the ultrasound, I really looked at the baby. The arms, the legs, the sweet head and chest and knew just what he/she would look like on the outside. Perfectly formed and beautiful- but just really small. I speak for the few people who got to see Michael within the first few weeks of his birth when I say that seeing a baby so small and precious is breathtaking. It is so beautiful, so miraculous- but at the same time it is sad to see a baby who didn't get the chance to swim around and grow uninterrupted inside the safety of their Mommy's belly. This regret I have, the sorrow I felt for not being able to keep Michael in my tummy for just one more day or even one more hour- propels me to take it easy and give this baby a fighting chance.

Today is a wonderful day. I will try to not take for granted the seemingly unimportant days that will pass from here on out in this pregnancy. These days are days that would've taken away some of the pain and suffering that Michael had to endure. These are days that I would've seriously sacrificed anything for to have given Michael another day safe and warm in my body. Each day is an opportunity for this baby, for Michael's new little brother or sister, to grow into a bigger, healthier baby and how powerful it feels to be able to make a difference in this little one's life already. Happy 25 weeks baby!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Once again, your post made my eyes tear up. What a fantastic day. I couldn't be more happy for you and your family. I'm so glad you and Michael shared such a sweet moment about his thoughts. Isn't it amazing how much kids take on in their heads? You are such a good mommy for putting his mind at ease.

Anonymous said...

Yes Michael you were small but you were beautiful and strong and you had the cutest little feet! Your story continues to inspire others and teaches us about God's mercy and love. And your story is far from over. Love always, Nonna

Anonymous said...

Wow. That almost brought me to tears! :) Congrats on making it to this step! One thing you forgot to add is that not only is Michael a strong, strong boy, but he also has a strong, strong mommy! :) Park soon?! :) Take it easy.
-Kylie

Anonymous said...

I'm crying over here! My goodness! You are such a wonderful mother to these four kids. I have been watching you in amazement. I don't know how you do it. I love you and am so proud to be your baby sis.

Sheelagh said...

Congratulations! You made it!!
This is a touching post. Everything you, and Michelle went through, and how you're feeling now, it all makes me really think how blessed I have been to have such "easy" pregnancies. But I also think how blessed you are. For one reason or another God did decide for Michael to be born so early, but to also survive it all. And the is truly amazing!! I'm glad you were able to talk to Michale about that. Thank you for sharing this all with us.
My thoughts and prayers are with you for a save pregnancy and delivery too.

JKS said...

You did it, again. Not only are you brave but truly selfless. This is such a raw, delicate, yet powerful process that you give yourself over to for your children. inspiring!