Thursday, May 28, 2009

Can you say Cheesecake?

Last week I mentioned that Claire and I went out to dinner as part of my Mother's Day gift. Well, this week- it was Michael and my turn to go out on the town just the two of us. Michael was really looking forward to it and had picked a special restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory. When Claire had chosen California Pizza Kitchen- she had done so because she knew I loved pizza. After Michael and I were seated for dinner, I asked him why he had chosen Cheesecake as the restaurant. I thought he knew that I love it there (which I do) but instead he looked me straight in the eye and said, "I picked it because I love cheesecake. (He paused.) Mom, do you like cheesecake because I have no idea?" I loved his response. Michael is by far my pickiest eater but he loves his desserts! God love him! When we got to our table- they seated us across the table from each other. Once our waiter walked away- Michael asked me if he could sit right next to me. I thought that was cute. He held my hand and grabbed my arm each time he wanted to tell me something new. Michael was really surprised to learn that Cheesecake doesn't have a children's menu. He said to me, "Great. Now what am I supposed to do?" I told him that it made it more fun to choose what he wanted to eat! After looking at all of the options, Michael chose the sliders (mini cheeseburgers). He loved them. After dinner, he could barely wait for dessert. We looked over and over the dessert menu at all of the cheesecake options and he finally decided on Adams's Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cheesecake. I thought that was a great choice!!! Once they brought it to the table, he started inhaling it- and I mean inhaling it. He already had eaten two mini cheeseburgers, drank a Shirley Temple, had two pieces of bread with butter and now was devouring the cheesecake (and the cheesecake is not small)! I watched in amazement until he turned to me after finishing half of the cheesecake and said he thought he was either going to burst or throw up! I pulled the cheesecake my direction and finished the piece as Michael looked the other way because he said he couldn't look at any kind of food or he would barf!

Michael and I had a great time. I didn't realize how little true one on one time we get together. The great thing about having a lot of kids is that there is always something going on! The downside is that it is hard to have good alone time without getting interrupted! I hope that we continue this tradition of Mother's/Father's Day gift cards from the kids because both Damien and I love it and the kids seem to equally enjoy planning a date and having us all to themselves. My Michael is truly a joy to be around and is such a special little guy. He is loving, sensitive, inquisitive, hilarious, feisty, and creative. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful son and a great role model for the rest of his siblings. Sometimes my mind goes back to the day he was born eight years ago and I remember how fearful I was that we might lose him. I am so happy that Michael fought so hard and that God held him in the palm of his hand and gave my sweet beautiful boy safety. I love you Michael. Thanks for taking me out to dinner. I can't wait until next year!

2 comments:

the uffelmans said...

so cute.

p.s. you just made me hungry.

Danielle said...

So sweet. I love the tradition and I LOVE the cheesecake factory! You look so good in the picture with you and Michael...how do you get away with not having a "pregnant face" at 34 weeks????