Once a year, each class at Michael and Claire's school gets to host a Mass. Michael's class was chosen to host the mass honoring Mary on May Day. A few weeks before the Mass, I got a paper in Michael's school folder letting us know that Michael was chosen to have a speaking part in the Mass. I was immediately excited as he hadn't been chosen this year to speak in various class celebrations. Michael shook it off like the cool guy that he is and said that he wasn't nervous at all for his big moment. I told him, 'You know you have to get up in front of the whole school and in front of a packed church crowd when you say your lines, right?" "Yep. No problem," he responded. Seriously, Michael sometimes surprises me with is confidence. He really doesn't get intimidated in situations like this. I think I project my nervousness on him which I need to stop doing immediately!!!
I had my camera set to record his speaking part. I was going to capture it- all of it. The service was going along nicely when I saw Michael stand up and walk to the podium. I swear I stopped breathing! And wouldn't you know I didn't record a second of his little speech? I may sound lame but the combination of intense pride in my son coupled with the possible nervousness Michael may have been feeling walking up there was just too much. Michael calmly walked up and said, "To honor Mary as we crown her, we sing Bring Flowers of the Rarest. Will the first graders please stand." No hiccups in the rhythm of his speaking and he spoke slowly and clearly and literally melted my heart. Once he finished- he sat back down with his class and gave us the thumbs up and waved at Matthew. It was an awesome and proud moment for me and I am sure for Michael, too. It is so fun being a parent, especially during these precious moments.**Disclaimer: The first graders had to wear their Sunday's Best to school and when I dropped Michael off at school, he looked adorable. The whole John Travolta Collar thing happened between drop off and Mass time. Once we saw him in the church we couldn't fix it. He looked cool nonetheless, but it was just funny.
1 comment:
What a big guy! You would never guess that he had delicate beginnings. It is always a big nod to the parents when a kid has solid self confidence- so feel good about that! He has BIG things a ahead of him, i can tell! =-)
Post a Comment