I love this quote! We went to Mass on Mother's Day morning and after church- the St. Chris Mom's Group handed out gerbera daisies to all the mothers with this quote attached. It really set the day off in the right direction for me. Because I still cannot travel- we were set to spend Mother's Day in and around our home. Because Damien and I come from such big families- it is strange to think of a holiday where there aren't people everywhere and noise galore. We tried to put it in perspective and enjoy a great day with our little family and really put the focus on our own togetherness.
I was greeted first thing in the morning by my three beautiful and eager children who had all made me handmade cards. I love their little messages and especially love the drawings of me and them. I love that because I once told Michael that my favorite flavor of Skittles was orange that little orange Skittles are drawn on every card he makes for me. Even if he draws a picture of me at school- inevitably there is a orange Skittle snuck in there somewhere! After we read the cards- we rolled out of bed and opened a few thoughtful gifts from Damien and the kiddos. Damien had brought the kids to Target earlier in the week and gave them a price limit and told them all to pick out something that Mom would really want. It was hilarious to see what they got me. Michael knows I love ice cream but he also loves it himself. He loves when I make any kind of goodie for him so it was so fitting for him to have picked out an ice cream maker. How cool is that? Claire took the more feminine and practical approach and got me two beautiful maternity shirts that are so cute and colorful! Damien said she picked them out all by herself and she even got the right size! She said to him that it must be hard for me to keep growing out my clothes so she wanted to get me something I could use now. I loved them! Matthew was drawn to the kitchen department, too and picked out a mini muffin pan that we can make some yummy little brownie cupcakes in! The funniest part of the whole shopping adventure was when they were at checkout. Apparently Damien told them to pick out a candy that Mommy would really love. The hilarious part of this is that they all picked out their own favorite candy! Maybe because picked those out because they were hoping I would just give it back to them after they gave it to me or maybe they were just hungry at the time. Either way I thought is was so funny! Michael got me a Hershey's plain chocolate bar, Claire got me a package of Skittles, and Matthew got me a Baby Bottle Pop. Of course upon receiving my extremely personal candy gifts- I gave them right back to them saying, 'Thank you, but I would love for you guys to have them!" They acted surprised (yeah right) and it was a classic moment. What a kick!
After Mass we went out to breakfast at a great little dive by Santa Clara University where Damien and I used to go when we dated back in college. The kids thought it was really cool and were shocked to see a picture of both Damien and myself on the wall taken our senior year. Claire couldn't believe it and whispered to me, 'No offense Mom. But you and Dad look better now!" No offense taken Clairey! We then returned home where all five members of our family took a nap (how about that!) and then we sat outside in the beautiful sunshine and just enjoyed watching our kids splash around in the water and have fun together. Later that night, Damien wanted to take me out for dinner and I couldn't figure out where to go. I certainly don't have the food cravings I've had with my other pregnancies (desserts are a whole other thing, though) so I asked Claire and Michael what they felt like eating for dinner. Michael said he wanted pizza and Claire wanted a Caesar salad. There is a great restaurant down the street that could fulfill both of their requests so we headed over there and had a beautiful dinner. During prayer, all three of the kids said the most beautiful things about me that it brought tears to my eyes. They are all so special to me in their own special way and I was so happy to be able to reflect on the many blessings that come with being a Mother.
I was touched by all of the many special treasures I received on Mother's Day from the kids and from Damien. I was inspired to further push forward with my pregnancy and was given strength to persevere through whatever lies ahead. I was reminded of the many blessings God has bestowed upon me. I was so thankful that my lifelong wish to become a Mother has happened not once but four times. Happy Mother's Day to all of the Amazing Mothers in my life and in the lives of the ones I love.

2 comments:
Your family is too cute. I'm excited for the day that my kids can tell me/ write to me what they think of me as their mom. I always wonder what they would say int heir own words. What fun and how cute!
Glad you had nice Mother's Day.
That top picture is just about the sweetest I have ever seen. You must frame it and put it up!
Post a Comment