
You would think that by the time I am potty training my third child that I would have an established plan in place. You would think I would remember a lot of things from raising my first two kids but I just don't. I think one of the reasons this happens is that when you are in the thick of things- you just do whatever you have to do to get by! Plus, each child is different and with potty training you really have to follow their lead. Matthew surprised us all by poop training himself all on his own when he was about eighteen months. He just decided one day that he was going to poop on the toilet and he just did it. Since then (he is now 2 years, 4 months) we have maybe had to change a total of three poopy diapers. It has been fabulous! No potty chair, no changing poop. It has been so great. He just comes up to us and says 'poop bad' or 'poop toilet' and we put him on there and voila!

We hadn't had much luck with Matthew wanting to go pee in the toilet. I racked my brain trying to remember what I did with Michael and Claire and I couldn't remember any specific trick or maneuvering that got them potty trained. I just remember them being 'ready' and doing it. Of course we did potty charts and 'poop prizes' but beyond the reward part of it- I couldn't remember the process. Claire was completely potty trained around 2 1/2 and Michael was completely trained closer to three. I have heard it is easier to train girls but I really think it has more to do with the child and their own readiness. As baby #4's debut was getting closer by the day- I kept thinking it would be good to get Matthew potty trained before he/she comes to just give Matthew the attention he needs and get him off to a good start before all heck breaks loose here. A few weeks ago- we started taking his diaper off and letting him run around naked. Not only did I love it (the sight of those buns are priceless)- but I think Matthew welcomed the change from the heavy diaper and liked this new freedom. Once I started to try and put his diaper back on, he would say '
No like wear diaper. No diaper Mom.' Yes! One step closer. I told him that he didn't have a diaper on so if he had to pee- he had to tell me or Damien and we would take him to the toilet. The very next day, Matthew said, '
Pee toilet. Pee toilet!' We ran him to the toilet and he got it. He got it!

The timing of trying to potty train him and the great warm weather we are having absolutely got him off to a great start and allows him be naked without being cold. It is just perfect. So far, in the past week- we have had no accidents. If we have to go out on an errand, I will have him go pee and then put the diaper on him. But usually when we get home, it is dry. I am not going to get too excited, but I am thrilled that we have some progress on the potty training front. Some other motivation was going to Costco and paying $49.00 for a box of diapers for Matthew. With another baby on the way- I really would love to lower our diaper costs if we could. At this point- I hope we just keep making steady progress. I have no plans of trying to train him at night but if we can eliminate the daytime diapers- just imagine what I can do with the money I save. Oh, that's right. I can buy the next baby's diapers with it. You have to have a sense of humor with this kind of stuff! One day my kids will be out of diapers and while I won't miss the diapers per say, I will miss the little child that fit in them.
2 comments:
Your last statement is so true. I'm nmoto a big fan of potty training and I'm not too good at it either. But they will get it and soon enough they will be big kids. We'll be wondering where our babies went off to.
Congratulations by the way. No poopy diapers must be nice!
Hi Lisa!
I'm so glad you found my blog and left a comment! Our stories do sound so similar. No one can really understand how tough this is unless they've been through it--thanks for reaching out to me! What an inspiration you are! Congrats on making it to 32 weeks already! Your kids are beautiful and I know you don't take a second fore granted with them. And, I can't imagine being in the NICU in France---it was tough enough being home, I can't imagine how hard that was.
Anyway--thanks again for your encouragement. I am 26 weeks tomorrow and praying for at least several more!
Talk to you soon!
Ann Marie Kolkhorst
prayforcoy.blogspot.com
Post a Comment