Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

We had an absolutely fantastic Memorial Day weekend! We had no plans at all (aside from Michael's baseball game on Saturday afternoon) and planned to spend the whole weekend relaxing and barbecuing. Damien wanted to BBQ all three nights so we set a plan in place and looked forward to a great weekend outdoors! Saturday night, we had our great friends The Uffelmans over for dinner and had a delicious dinner of Italian sausages and chicken. Yum! Their son Luke is just four months younger than Matthew so they played together and Karen is one week ahead of me in her pregnancy so we just sat together and tried to stay cool as we complained about being so big and pregnant!

Sunday we went to Mass and then came home for another leisurely day. We all napped (I love when this happens) and then prepped for BBQ #2 of hamburgers and cheeseburgers. I also told the kids that we would use the ice cream maker Michael gave me for Mother's Day to make some delicious homemade ice cream. He chose to make Cookies and Cream so I made a shopping list for Damien and sent him off to the store (I haven't seen the inside of a Safeway for three months!). While he was gone, I reviewed the recipe and realized that you have to make a custard-like base and then chill it for two hours. What? I make a lot of things from scratch but never knew all the steps that go into making your own ice cream! When Damien got home from the store I told him we had to do a lot of work to make the ice cream and the kids were really disappointed. They wanted to eat ice cream that night! They were able to stay up long enough to crush the Oreos and see us put the ice cream mixture into the machine to start churning. The ice cream needed to churn for 45 minutes and then needed to freeze overnight to truly harden. I had no idea it was so involved!!!! We were happy to let them eat some really delicious ice cream for breakfast the next morning! Seriously- it was really good!!!

Monday, Damien had an early doctor's appointment and then we took the kids to Santa Clara University to let them run around and have fun. I wheeled along with them and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine! That night we barbecued hot dogs (the real beef kind- not the turkey kind) and let the kids run around the backyard in the sprinklers. They had an absolute blast!!! All in all, the holiday weekend was just what we needed. A chance to reconnect with one another while enjoying the sun and the yummy food!!

1 comment:

Sheelagh said...

Sounds like a blast! I love the comment about not seeing the inside of a store in 3 months! That must actually be a nice break for you.

Your ice cream making brings a tear to my eye. My dad used to make some really really good stuff! I miss him and ice cream too (now that milk and I don't get along so well).