Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Claire Turns NINE

Some blog posts are harder to write than others.  Some are just hard to capture in words and others are just plain emotional.  This one's emotional.  As I sit here typing, I am blown away that Claire is nine.  Truly blown away.  I remember Claire's beginnings so vividly.  It's almost like I could close my eyes and be right back to my twenty-six year old self, cuddling my sweet newborn with the silky brown hair and soft cheeks.  I can almost feel myself tuck her little head under my chin while thanking God for giving me a daughter.  Claire's birth was so powerful and life changing.  She was a healthy full term baby that I had spent months sacrificing my mobility for in the hopes that she would be heathly.  In the blink of an eye, Claire was here and I had a girl!  A total 180 from my beautiful boy, Michael.  She healed me in ways I will never be able to explain and continues to do so today in ways she doesn't even know.

I am so proud of you, Claire!  You are a beautiful, confident, strong, hilarious, helpful, and an amazing nine year old girl.  You continue to grow at a rapid pace and I don't see an end in sight!  You can be wonderfully focused on many projects but also love to let loose and be crazy!  Your family means so much to you.  No matter the friendships you have made at school, you prefer to hang with us and I treasure that.  I know in a few short years you will love us just the same, but you will want to be with your friends!  You have a God-given maternal instinct.  You are a nurturer through and through.  You love to take care of your siblings and help me with things.  You know when to help people and just do it without having to be asked.  You're amazing.

I love when you get home from school because I LOVE to see you, but I also love that Matthew and Emily are so happy!  All day, I try and keep them occupied to no avail.  Turns out they are waiting for you and your brother to get home to have fun! 

You've changed a lot over the past year.  For one, you are more confident in yourself and your abilities.  I can see this change on the soccer field and basketball court.  You've decided you are just going to get it done and don't worry about what others will think!  You have grown a lot this year, too.  I hate to even write this but you are currently wearing a women's 6 1/2 size shoe.  Holy smokes you are catching up to me!  You have your own sense of style and for the first time are telling me you don't want to wear dresses to church.  I still make you wear them, but I have modified the kind dress you wear!  For your birthday dinner this year, you chose teriyaki salmon, parmesan/butter noodles, and sweet potato fries.  You also wanted fondue as your birthday dessert which we all loved! 

You also (gulp) asked me to change your room from Disney Princesses to something else.  One by one, you and I took down your princesses.  I remember when we made/bought those decorations together.  You were a little girl and thought the princesses were the most beautiful thing in the world!  You had every princess dress, every high heeled princess shoe, and their tiaras, too!  I knew the day would come when they wouldn't be your favorite anymore- but the preparation was not enough to shield my heart from being sad.  I don't want you to be the nine year old that has to love the princesses, but I just miss that little three year old girl who wore her princess dresses all day long!  You always looked adorable.  I am SO excited that you decided to theme your room with peace signs!  It looks so awesome and fits you better than the princesses did.  I suppose my hesitation was just not wanting to accept that you are growing up.  Thank goodness you said you would always be my little girl. 

My relationship with you this year has blossomed even more than I expected.  We've always been close, but you have expressed to me so many times this year how much you love me and from time to time, tell me that I am the greatest person in the world.  You tell me that you trust me the most and this honor makes me so happy, Claire.  I love my Mom so much and I am so excited to have the opportunity to mother my own daughter who might want to be like me one day!

Happy Ninth Birthday, Clairey.  Your smile, your jokes, your nurturing, your creativity, and the bright light that you cast on us all makes us the happiest people in the world.  We love you and can't believe this is your last single digit birthday!  Wishing you the most wonderful year ahead.  You certainly deserve it.

To my Baby Mine . . .
I love you more than bunnies.
Love,  Mommy

1 comment:

the uffelmans said...

love this post. love claire. love you.