I love playing soccer. I look forward to Sunday mornings when I can go out and run for two hours and then feel exhausted but so satisfied. I need/crave working out and finding a way to relieve stress, clear my head, and blow off some steam! Soccer is such a treat and I love it. That is . . . until it temporarily turns my world upside down.
All was going well. It was a beautiful day, I was feeling great, and then *poof* it was over. No one was around me when I turned to run up the field. I stepped and the next thing I knew- I was face down on the field writhing in pain. It was horrendous. So much pain I couldn't believe it! I heard a big crack but was surprised to learn that everyone around me at the time heard it, too.
Wouldn't you know that Damien and the kids were there? Damien brought them so that they could watch me play! Five minutes after they got there, I was down and out. For those that know me, I don't like people to fuss over me. I was hurt so badly that Damien had to walk onto the field and literally carry me off like a baby. My kids were concerned but I tried to tell them I was okay (when I knew things weren't okay).
To sum of the rest of the day, Damien got me and the kids home. After carrying me in the house, we tried to ice my ankle to see if the swelling would go down. No such luck. Something wasn't right. I was worried that maybe I had broken my foot. Damien took the kids to Mark and Jocelyn's and then took me to the Emergency Room. After x-rays, it was determined there was no break! Yeah! I did however find out that I have a severe sprain coupled with a bruised tibia. That big crack everyone heard when I got hurt were two of my bones munching together. I spent the next five days 100% on crutches. Not fun when you have four kids with packed weeks and a stressed (but amazing) husband who is overloaded with work at the end of his quarter for work.
We managed to make it the five days until I could be seen by a physical therapist. Diagnosis- very rare and practically unseen, super high ankle sprain. Awesome. Why can't I do anything normal? Normally- people sprain their ankles to the side. I sprained mine forward. Of course. Minimum six week recovery until I can work out again. Air cast at all times but thankfully I don't have to use the crutches at home. The kids are going a tad crazy, I am having them watching a lot of television, and Emily and Matthew are very worried about Mommy but have been the best helpers. Damien has been unbelievably amazing as businessman/Mr. Mom. Gina came down and helped me out for a few days and many family members have sent us dinner. Mark and Jocelyn came through huge for us the day I got hurt and practically had the kids all day! Michael and Claire are really being so helpful, too. A huge thank you to everyone who helped us out. I hope the next six weeks fly by!
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment