So, I must have been really tired when I agreed to let Claire have thirteen girls over for her overnight birthday. Maybe I was in some kind of a sleep coma when I had the thought, 'No problem at all!' This was one of the first years where Claire decided that she didn't want to invite her whole class. She wanted it a smaller, more personal party and I was completely behind it!
She came up with the idea to have her friends join her for dinner at Kyoto Palace which is a Benihana-ish type of restaurant that my kids love! While it has amazing food, it can be kinda pricey so before I agreed to anything- I looked at the menu. Would you believe that the kids menu was only $10 a person! Score. After I told Claire that Kyoto Palace was a 'go' she asked if she could have her friends over for a sleepover. Let's see. If she invites thirteen, surely three or so won't be able to come. Okay! The dinner/sleepover was on!
All thirteen girls said they could come to the party! (Sarcastic cheers, Yay!) Claire was so excited for her big night. The girls showed up to the restaurant and I was able to have a quick chat with them beforehand that it was important to be on their best behavior! They all did great at dinner. They were all able to sit at their own table and then Michael, his friend Anthony, Mark, Marlene, and my family sat across from them. They did great but the wheels started falling off the truck at the end of the 1 1/2 hour dinner. We paid the bill, hurried the girls to the cars, and arrived back at the house for some more fun!
Claire wanted to play a game on our Xbox 360 Kinect called Dance Central. In this game, you can pick a song and then dance battle a partner. The girls LOVED it!!! Once they were tired of that, we had cupcakes, and then settled in to watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I could hardly wait to say GOODNIGHT to the girls but they had different plans. "You guys, please go to bed. I want to do this again and if things don't go well- I'm not sure we can!" No cigar. These girls talked and talked and talked. I am not sure why I had any expectation that they would go to sleep. I just think that I was exhausted and wanted to go to bed myself! The last chatting I heard was at 11:15 p.m. My one request was that if they woke up early the next morning, that they just keep quiet so others could sleep.
By 6:45 a.m. I could not longer ignore the laughter and loud voices. I got out of bed, didn't even straighten my shirt or smooth my hair back, marched into the room and asked them all to keep it down. I walked back to my room and laid back down in my bed. After hearing them laugh at my 'attempt' to quiet them, I gave in and got dressed. When I finally rubbed my eyes enough so that I could see straight, I saw Claire. She was so happy. So happy, in fact, that she made me temporarily forget all the hysteria around having thirteen girls spend the night!
Claire had the most wonderful party. She loved being surrounded by her friends. She felt loved and so happy. I think that is just how you should feel on your birthday. I am so happy that I was able to have this party for her. So what if I am going to have to take naps for the next two days to recover. Clairey got the ninth birthday she wanted. Happy Birthday Sweet Girl!
***Emily thought that it was her party. She was such a hit with Claire's friends. Also, please note that in another six to eight years, Michael will look at the last picture and feel like 'The Man'. Laying in a room of thirteen girls. He didn't sleep in there, but just watched the movie. Lucky guy! Matthew just loved it all, as usual. His approach was a little more subdued. He sat in the corner and took it all in. Playing hard to get, I suppose!
Saturday, September 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment