It is hard to write the word eleven when it is in reference to your child's age. Michael is now officially older in years than he has fingers to count! When a child is little and you ask them how old they are, it is cute to see them try and manipulate their fingers to show their age. Well, Michael has graduated from fingers which makes him a pretty big guy!
Claire, Matthew, and Emily could hardly wait for it to be Michael's birthday! They all had a hand in picking out gifts for him and because it is Spring Break and there is no real structure to our days, Michael's celebration was paramount!
When thinking about what he wanted for his birthday this year, Michael was really hoping we were going to cave and get him an iTouch. After realizing how firmly planted we were in the NO department- he moved onto to another gadget. He begged us to let him get a Kindle. We couldn't get why he just couldn't read books on the iPad or shocker read paper books. He just thought it would be cool. And hey, if it motivates him to read, bonus for us! The two big kids are devouring the Hunger Games series so Michael was hopeful he would get the Kindle and read the rest of the books on there. Well, he got it and if his smile wasn't enough to show us how much he loved it, then his giant hug was.
Michael wanted to go out to sushi for his birthday lunch which we all LOVED! I think that Michael's birthday lunch was certainly enhanced (upstaged) by Claire's blue glittery hair extensions and Matthew's Indiana Jones hat. Just sayin'. For dinner Michael wanted me to make artichokes and Sloppy Joe's. Easy enough!
Instead of a birthday cake, we opted to go to Dairy Queen for some frozen treats! I talked the older two into ordering my favorite- the Peanut Buster Parfait (selfishly because my mouth was watering and I was trying to eat well) but unfortunately, they weren't big fans. I think they didn't like the peanuts. My bad. I felt bad that Michael's birthday treat didn't meet his expectations. So, I went against one of my major food rules when I ordered Michael something else. Usually, if I make dinner or if they order something at a restaurant- that is what they eat. But because I kind of led him astray with my major craving for the Peanut Buster Parfait, I let him order a Butterfinger Blizzard. Sue me! It was the kid's birthday for goodness sake!
We then headed over to Damien's soccer game and were able to watch the last half of the game . . . in the pouring rain. The kids kept looking at me like I had lost my marbles. 'Is Mom really letting us sit here in the rain and not caring that we are literally soaking wet? Did she really let us run around for twenty minutes after the game in the ridiculously heavy rain?' Yes, I did. And you know what- they laughed hysterically, had a blast, and loved every wet minute of it. It made it all worth it when on the car ride home- Michael said to me, "Mom, this was seriously the best day of my life!" And there you have it, folks. Best day of his eleven years spent reading on his kindle, eating sushi, getting to order a second dessert, and running around in the rain. Eleven years old? Sounds about right.
Happy Eleventh Birthday to my Amazing Michael.
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment